Native Instruments products natively on Linux

Options
13»

Comments

• dr_infantil
    dr_infantil Member Posts: 4 Newcomer
    Options

Same here! Linux is the better OS and I would be happy if wouldn't need to boot into Wintendo! So go for it, NI!

I have managed to run native access in Linux under wine. I installed Kontakt7 and other stuff, but what comes next? Maybe someone can give a hint how to proceed from that point. I would like to use reaper as DAW.

Thx!

• NI4Linux
    NI4Linux Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

Bump.

Bitwig took the crown last year and is fully Linux compatible. NI needs to take notes.

• novaparis
    novaparis Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

Yeah I really regret getting NI products now that Windows is such a bloat mess.

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,178 Guru
    edited April 4
    Options

Google tells me Linux has a 4% market share. In other words, 96% of people are NOT using it.

It doesn't seem very surprising that software companies opt to program for the 96% rather than the 4%.

[edit] Apparently last year it was 3%. Congratulations, you've gone up 1% 😃

• rabbit
    rabbit Member Posts: 6 Member
    edited April 15
    Options

LINUX SUPPORT PLEASE! MANY OF US WANT TO START TO USE LINUX TO ADD A OEPN SOURCE OS IN OURS WORKFLOW!! !PLEASE

• onx
    onx Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

Why is it always either/or with these guys? Did you get burned by the Linux community or something?

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,178 Guru
    Options

Who said anything about either/or? We're just being realistic. Quoting facts.

If you choose to use a platform that only has a 4% market share, then you have to suffer the consequences.

I do have a laptop here with Ubuntu on it, by the way. For most of the software I use though, it's no use whatsoever - and I don't expect it to be.

• Ojustaboo
    Ojustaboo Member Posts: 208 Advisor
    edited May 4
    Options

I would use Linux if the software I want, runs as good as it does on windows and Mac.

Trouble is, it’s a catch 22 situation.

Not enough Linux users to convince those in charge to develop their products for it.

User, not enough of wanted software runs on Linux so I have no choice but stick with Windows/Mac.

I used Unix etc heavily in the 80s and 90s at work, and I love Linux.

I used to dual boot into Linux (used to mainly run Gentoo) and would happily switch today if the software I want, runs on it, but it doesn’t.

I used to boot into Linux to browse the web etc then reboot into Windows for my online gaming and music software (no longer do online gaming). But it got to the point where if I needed to be in Windows every day to run my software, it was pointless me booting into Linux, so I stopped.

If I can boot into Linux and run: Studio 1, all Arturia and all Native instruments software, Omnisphere, my 3D printer slicing software etc etc etc as good and smooth as I run them in windows, then for me, windows would be history.

But I can’t. At my age I now just want stuff to work, I don’t want to mess around with wine trying to fudge something to almost run under Linux, it’s either properly supported or I’m staying with windows.

Also, in the past few years, for most people, Windows runs perfectly, it’s not like it was 10 years ago.

• Daviyd
    Daviyd Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

Just keeping this thread alive. I also need Linux support… I'm mean it already works with MuseScore out of the box on Windows, and that already has support. I've actually bought some NI products, so it would be nice to have those on Linux.

• neilw
    neilw Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I'd like to add my voice too. Win10 user, not looking forward to having to move to win11 and beyond. A year ago I set up my old PC with linux and have gradually been miving and testing aspects of my work under Linux. Audi recording / music is the only remaining challenge, one I haven't had time to investigate yet.I'd love to be able to move everything to Linux and be windows-free.

There was the recent statistic that win11 has been losing market share - to win10.

My strategy was, where possible, to switch to software on windows where the same software also exists on Linux. I moved from my ancient copy of office 2008 (or whatever it was) to Libre Office quite happily, and have had no difficulty sharing documents with colleagues and clients using Office365.

I've recently set up Reaper under windows to test it out, as I know its also available under Linux, just as a start. I would love if one day I could run Reaktor which is my main tool, also various sample instruments.

When I have time I'll experiment with Wine as others have suggested up-thread and report back, but it'll likely be a few months.

• spacef2012
    spacef2012 Member Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 7
    Options

Hello, Mehdi / SpaceF here.

Please support linux because more and more users are fed up of the Mac/Windows intrusive/exclusive OS or hardware… that do not even work fine.

Windows is now a data scrapper for AI training and advertising plateform.

Also, I am personnally switching to non subscription model and old school DAWs (bye bye cubase, studio one, logic …. Hello Reaper, it is so much powerful and work so much better in all respects).

So the only thing I will soon do is switch to a non MAC/WIndows OS…. whatever it is.

many plugin makers are making the move. We would expect from NI to do the same…. for a better Native Future…

Ankyou ery much