Disparity in Groups/Sounds volume in expansions

Percivale
Percivale Member Posts: 201 Advisor
edited March 2022 in Maschine

I found that with the different packs, individual sounds or even at group level, there was a tendency for them to have vast differences in output volume. I had to tailor each sound level to taste and comfort for my ears.

Is there a simple/efficient way to "normalise" all sounds in such way that they sound within a range of decibels or would not exceed a certain ceiling?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    Answer ✓

No, normalizing would not help anyway.

You can have a compressed sound with a lower db level way "louder" than something peaking at a higher db. DB level and actual perceived loudness aren't really the same thing, so no, it's not possible.

Answers

• Tony Jones
    Tony Jones Member Posts: 261 Pro

You could add a limiter if you want a ceiling, maybe on the group level, but it sounds like you'd also want a compressor.

• winihh
    winihh Member Posts: 22 Member

I'd say that this is not a huge problem. The volume of a sound differs not only because of "the volume" but because of your perception of the frequencies and depends on the equipment you are listening to your tracks or instruments.

Take the difference in bass-level on a laptop-speaker compared to a good monitorsetup with bass subwoofer or different types of headphones or mono/stereo.

In Drumgroups you also will have different requirements to the level of e.g. snare, bass and highhat depending on your type of music or song or where the music should be played in the end.

The perception of "loudness" is also influenced by the panning of the instrument in the mix.

Drumgroups or sounds are only a starting point for your mix. In reality you level them down ad compression, ad maybe additional routings to effect tracks. So it really does not matter at all wether a Sound is louder or not in the first instance – as long as it is not too quite...

(sorry for mistakes in language... I am german ;-) )...

If you are looking for some knowledge about all this... here you find good insights in the mysteries of mixing:

https://mixedbymarcmozart.com/product-category/ebook/

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert

There is no "simple" or "Global" way to have sounds and or groups load at a specific level, it is all a matter of personal preference...

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    Answer ✓

No, normalizing would not help anyway.

You can have a compressed sound with a lower db level way "louder" than something peaking at a higher db. DB level and actual perceived loudness aren't really the same thing, so no, it's not possible.