Can you connect NI Komplete S88 to 2 PCs?

Options
Musikkdata
Musikkdata Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

I need midi signal to one IPad and one PC at the same time. Is that possible.

Comments

• Milos
    Milos Member Posts: 1,969 Guru
    Options

I think the title is a bit confusing and a little misleading.

As for the 2 devices and 1 midi keyboard, maybe you need to think of a concept similar to the server concept...

That is all I know.

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,276 mod
    Options

You could probably send to the PC over USB and the iPad over "real" MIDI if you have an adaptor. Not sure how usable it'd be having the same data going to an iPad and to the PC at the same time though.

What are you trying to do exactly?

-- Mike

• Musikkdata
    Options

Thank you for answer. I have tried that. I cannot make it work.

Magne

• SupaReels
    SupaReels Member Posts: 25 Member
    Options

Hi Magne'

I have to assume that you are not using a DAW and only as a stand alone ? If so my idea would be to use the USB O/P to the PC and the midi out ( on the S88 ) to your MIDI in to your 2nd input if midi is what you want to send. There is a device called a MIDI MERGE that takes two MIDI I/P's, and as the name suggests 'merges these sequential signals into one .. a lot of old tech here.

Another more simple way is to send the midi data to the PC then send it out to the slave ( Your iPad ) ... But as Mike above has asked ..What are you trying to do exactly?

Anyway ...

Happy days

SupaReels

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 3,288 mod
    edited November 2023
    Options

You are simply supplying too little little and pose too self-contradictory questions for me to even to try to answer.

Quote : "Can you connect NI Komplete S88 to 2 PCs?". Then you continue with asking : "I need midi signal to one IPad and one PC at the same time. Is that possible.". Last time I looked then an iPad were not a PC.

Then on top of that then you do not tell if the midi signals that you want is midi out or midi in , so also do not give any signal directional information !

So as both mykejb and SupaReels asks then "What are you trying to do exactly" ? Please give people here exact information about what it is that you are trying to do if you want anyone to be able to produce any meaningful or useful answer !

• Musikkdata
    Options

Ok. I am sorry to be misunderstandable. I use a PC to write music with the signals from my NI Komplete S88. And I use Ipad to make a playlist for my concerts. Perhaps I have found a way to do it. I will use a USB B to female USB A adapter, and use a split USB A to the 2 computers. I have ordered the two adapters, but haven't got them yet, so I can't say if it will work. Thank you for trying to find a solution.

• PoorFellow
    edited November 2023
    Options

I have no idea if what you have ordered will work , but be very careful that the stuff that you have bought is actually for the task/situation that you intend to use it. Immediately I would say no but I am not an expert and even if you told me what you bought I would be sure. If you want to connect more USB units to the same port then an USB hub is the way to go. in the mean time I will give some thoughts to your problem and return if I think that I have come up with something..

• PoorFellow
    edited November 2023
    Options

P.S.

I am not sure at all if this will work , but had it been I then I would try this setup :

Attach keyboard to one PC USB port

then attach ESI - MIDIMATE eX to another USB port on PC

then connect the ESI - MIDIMATE eX to the Hosa GMD-108 5-Pin DIN to 5-Pin DIN MIDI Coupler

then connect the Mio XC to the Hosa midi coupler in one end and your iPad in the other end ! (iPad might require camera adapter)

Most important is component quality , e.g. a lot of USB to midi is pure ****** but the ESI - MIDIMATE eX actually works in my experience !

ESI - MIDIMATE eX : https://www.esi-audio.com/products/midimateex/

Hosa GMD-108 5-Pin DIN to 5-Pin DIN MIDI Coupler : https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-GMD-108-5-Pin-MIDI-Coupler/dp/B000068O44/

Mio XC : https://www.iconnectivity.com/midi-interfaces-1 as an alternative the Roland had made the UM-ONE mk2 USB MIDI Interface

It is entirely possible that one can just connect two UM-ONE mk2 USB MIDI Interface and bridge them using a Hosa GMD-108 5-Pin DIN to 5-Pin DIN MIDI Coupler . Meaning attach the keyboard to one USB port on PC and the UM-ONE mk2 USB MIDI Interface to another USB port on same PC and then attach the other UM-ONE mk2 USB MIDI Interface to the iPad and then bridge the two UM-ONE mk2 USB MIDI Interface using the Hosa GMD-108 5-Pin DIN to 5-Pin DIN MIDI Coupler

Also an alternative could be to connect PC to iPad by connecting the midi in and out of two iRig MIDI 2 using an ordinary mid cable ?

Or use one PC USB port to ESI - MIDIMATE eX to one iRig MIDI 2 to iPad !

Since I do not know enough about Windows and midi routing and using external midi adapters for PC and iPad then I couldn't say for sure if it will work. but I suggest that you check it all out yourself..

But as far as I can see then no better help here : Connect Usb-midi controller to ipad and computer : https://gearspace.com/board/music-computers/1296197-connect-usb-midi-controller-ipad-computer.html

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,276 mod
    Options

Are you using the iPad just for the playlist, in which case does it only need to send program change information and MIDI clock to the PC? What software are you running on the PC to generate sounds?

-- Mike