A61 and Cubase - knob for main out an more?

Jörg Kandels
Jörg Kandels Member Posts: 2 Member

With my new Native Instrument A61 keyboard the midi controls ans the transport controls are working fine, the knobs can be used to control the mixer fades for each track, as long as there are less than 9 tracks.

Two questions:

1. if I have more than 8 tracks, I see no option to switch or toggle to the next 8 tracks. The page left and right buttons are not highlighted and not active. Is it a bug or a (none) feature?
  2. I can’t control the main out, that means the most right fader in cubase, even if ther e are less than 8 tracks. Same question: Is it a bug or a (none) feature?

By the way: which protocol ist used für this communiation between A61 and Cubase? Is this proprietary or can I modificate this?

Thanks

Best Answer

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,579 Expert
    Answer ✓
    1. Unsure on the A series. Because it is the entry level control and has no display it will be limited in what it can do compared to the S series which can display all tracks on the screens (8 at a time) and follows your position in the project. Would be much harder to do that when you have no display for reference on what each encoder is controlling.
    2. I don't believe that is possible, only track volume.

The protocol if you use the script in a DAW is proprietary. I know in Live the scripts are python and easy enough to understand, tho not exactly simple to just change how you like but no experience in the format used in Cubase.

It can also operate in Mackie MCU mode if you are not using the dedicated script but that will then be up to how the host handles MCU and wouldn't allow for any changes unless you had a middle translator like Bomes to change the messages to your needs.

Answers

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,579 Expert
    Answer ✓
    1. Unsure on the A series. Because it is the entry level control and has no display it will be limited in what it can do compared to the S series which can display all tracks on the screens (8 at a time) and follows your position in the project. Would be much harder to do that when you have no display for reference on what each encoder is controlling.
    2. I don't believe that is possible, only track volume.

The protocol if you use the script in a DAW is proprietary. I know in Live the scripts are python and easy enough to understand, tho not exactly simple to just change how you like but no experience in the format used in Cubase.

It can also operate in Mackie MCU mode if you are not using the dedicated script but that will then be up to how the host handles MCU and wouldn't allow for any changes unless you had a middle translator like Bomes to change the messages to your needs.

• Jörg Kandels
    Jörg Kandels Member Posts: 2 Member

Thanks a lot for your useful hints!