Why is Traktor Pro 3.7 iso slowly by storing the collection?

Options

Answers

• DJKeo
    DJKeo Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Honestly this needs to be a higher priority than any new features Traktor is practically unusable when it takes 25-60 minutes to shut down

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,380 Expert
    Options

Was there not someone who found an anomaly in the collection nml files and was somehow able to fix it? I remember someone writing about it.

• PaKo
    PaKo Member Posts: 16 Member
    Options
  • PaKo
    Options

That would be cool, but the support does not know about it. They still look for the problem and asked me to search for files which might cause the problem. I'm working on it, but this naturally takes a lot of time...

• Ickehier
    Ickehier Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Same problem here since 3.6. It worked smoothly up to 3.5.3 and has been a pain with every new version since then. Support asked me to try various newer versions, but with every the same issue.

iMac 2020 i7 3,8 GHZ, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, all music stored on QNAP NAS TS-873 withe 4 GB RAM and always the newest QTS-version. Access via SMB. No other application has problems with the NAS performance.

My collection has 153k files, mostly FLAC.

• Ickehier
    Ickehier Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

When I had blue screens with my Mac it was a faulty USB cable.

• PaKo
    Options

Sometimes I really want to know what they did from 3.6 on with it, even though I'm not an expert in programming or computer hardware.

And as far as I have read their lists for changes / bugs: I can't find that issue. Has anybody seen it there?

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,363 mod
    edited June 2023
    Options

This is NOT a Traktor problem or a bug. And has nothing to do with what Traktor version you use, so, asking for older versions is really pointless.

It has to do with how large is your collection.nml file.

This file contains all the information about your entire music library. The bigger its size, the longer time takes to be saved! It is exactly as a website, or any other kind of database:

Huge and heavy database = slow response

A simple example (numbers are hypothetical, but relative!):

• Your library size: 5 Gb / collection.nml size: 1 Mb / Time needed to store: 2 seconds
    • Your library size: 50 Gb / collection.nml size: 3,4 Mb / Time needed to store: 10 seconds
    • Your library size: 500 Gb / collection.nml size: 16.8 Mb / Time needed to store: 60 seconds

Of course as you may understand, there is no solution for that, except this:

Do not use your entire library as a database, its a nonsense. Add only the music that you play! If you are a Psy-Trance DJ who also has a Jazz collection, it is obvious that you will not going to play Jazz, so, leave it out of the Traktor database! :-)

Note: All software have limitations, and they will always have.

• lord-carlos
    edited June 2023
    Options

Some people report a stark time difference between 3.5 and 3.6+.

What makes you so sure it's not a bug?

People who have this problem, have you tried comparing your collection.nml between 3.5 and a version where it takes tens of minutes?

• Sunborn
    edited June 2023
    Options

The experience and the observeness. As a professional DJ who played with various different computers, various different Traktor (and other software) versions, various different controllers and used various different databases, i have noticed this behavior, long time ago. Also as a person who creates and administrate websites and has knowledge on databases.

But, don't take my word for it! Just, temporarily back-up your original database (the collection.nml file) on another folder, create a new and much smaller one, and see the difference by your self! :-)

Note: I forgot to mention, the faster your CPU are, it may reduce this storing time, but not much. The same database, on laptop takes 35-36 seconds to store while on my, much more powerful desktop, just 21-22

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,763 mod
    Options

I can say this. With my big collection (around 15K tracks) it usually takes about 20 seconds to start Traktor up until version 3.5.2. With 3.6+ Traktor takes about twice as long to load.

• lord-carlos
    Options

No one said collection size has no influence on saving time. Neither me nor anyone else made that argument.

Some people have reported closing times of 60 minutes! after update to something after 3.5 with same or similar collection.

• Sunborn
    Options

60 minutes!! This might be a bug, yes. However it might be very limited computer resources or very wrong settings. For example, the response differences between an old type hard disk and an SSL drive, are enormous.

So, if too many people report this, it could be a bug, but if only few people report it, it might be something else, not related to Traktor.

• Sunborn
    Options

True, yes. But still, i can not see a 20 second difference as a bug.

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,763 mod
    Options

I can wait a minute or even two. More than that and i get nervous. 😆