FX Updates: 24 Komplete effects now with ARM Native support and MacOS Sonoma compatibility

Options

Comments

• Calagan
    Calagan Member Posts: 156 Advisor
    edited October 2022
    Options

I don't get why only the VST3 are Apple Silicon native (even while sharing the same version number with the updated VST2 versions)...

Very strange decision...

And by the way, I don't notice much CPU improvement (around 10% better, when using lot of plugins and tracks)... But at least I can use them in a native session now...

• Monochrome
    Monochrome Member Posts: 1,132 Expert
    Options

Because VST2 is officially no longer supported, that's why. NI is slowly but surely porting its products to VST3 as that's the future.

• safeite
    safeite Member Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Yeah, oddly none of the NI 2 versions works except 2.6 - which then updates itself automatically to a version that does not work.

NI 1 downgrades will be necessary for many users.

• safeite
    safeite Member Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Yes checking on dependencies was the first thing I checked - they were all already checked off.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,737 mod
    Options

@Calagan Apple doesn't support VST2 in Apple Silicon native, only in Rosetta mode.

• Calagan
    Options

Hi @Jeremy_NI

I think you're wrong : almost all my plugins are Apple Silicon native and are VST2. Just an exemple : Black Rooster plugins are only VST2 and were recently updated to Apple Silicon native...

I can understand that NI doesn't want to update any further VST2 versions of its plugins, but it seems it's not because of Apple...

• mikevas
    mikevas Member Posts: 6 Member
    Options

This is not correct. There are loads of native Apple Silicon VST2 plugins.

• Jeremy_NI
    edited October 2022
    Options

@Calagan @mikevas Let's put it this way. Other manufacturers found workarounds to provide compatible VST2 plug-ins. Since Steinberg will drop the VST2 format eventually, and given the size of NI's portfolio, porting everything to VST3 and M1 native support for AU and VST3 was prioritized.

• mikevas
    mikevas Member Posts: 6 Member
    Options
  • Calagan
    Options

I understand the decision, but please just tell us that you don't support VST2 anymore because it's too much work and money. To tell us Apple doesn't support VST2 in native Apple Silicon version is just an obvious lie...

Given the general lost of trust NI and some other devs (like iZotope) experienced recently, I think it's always better to tell the truth to users. Even (and especially) if it's another decision that spoils the workflow of a lot of people...

I mean, it's been years NI had only VST2 versions of their plugins, and the projects of every NI user was full of VST2 versions of Reaktor, Kontakt, Absynth, Massive etc. etc. And then suddenly VST2 is not anymore supported and VST3 is the only way to get updated plugins.

• Jeremy_NI
    edited October 2022
    Options

@Eddie_NI Thanks a lot for chiming in and clarifying things, I had misunderstood!

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,742 mod
    edited October 2022
    Options

'To make things a little better a lot of DAWs provide automatic functionality to use the VST3 versions instead of the VST2 in existing projects which makes the transition possible.'

This is true but to show further how complex this is, for this to work such a 'migration' feature also needs to be enabled by the plugin dev. Having this enabled in the DAW is in itself no guarantee it will work with all plugins if it hasn't also been enabled in the plugins themselves.

• Calagan
    Options

Thanks for the clarification @Eddie_NI .

To add to the confusion, I just bought the last Sonimus console emu (that is M1 native), and the VST2 version clearly behaves better than the VST3. The most noticeable issue with VST3 : it stills uses a lot of CPU power even when not processing (contrary to the VST2 version), and it's a bit crazy if you think VST3 is precisely supposed to implement this feature (but it's not working, even if it's ok with VST2).

I have the same issue with many other plugins, where VST2 is behaving better than VST3.

So I guess you're right, Steinberg is faulty here. I hope NI will adopt CLAP format one day, because VST seems a mess to me...

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,742 mod
    Options

Yes a good example is I'm finding the CLAP versions of u-he plugins manage multicore much more efficiently than their VST counterparts in Bitwig. I mean significantly better on M1 Max.