Holy Cow, FastTracker II is now fully Win10 compatible!

JesterMgee
JesterMgee Custom NKS Libraries: freelancesoundlabs.com/nksMember Posts: 401 Saw

https://16-bits.org/ft2.php

I am in nostalgia heaven after just stumbling over this new release of an old classic. That is one of my songs from 1997 and it sounds exactly as I remember!

I started making music in 1996 with a DOS based program called FTII which I used for about 8 years. It was what kept me off the streets as a teenage kid.

Some that are old enough will know what it (and similar trackers of the time) are all about but what makes me love this is not the fact it was my first step into production, but just how "easy" it was for a nerdy kid to make their own music.

For many that weren't even born at that time here is what it was in a nutshell:

• text based DAW running in DOS (was small enough to fit on a floppy disk.... look up what one of those was)
  • No effects
  • No instruments
  • Could use only WAV/AIF samples
  • No need to use a dedicated sound card
  • No special requirements whatsoever, would run on any DOS based computer

Sounds kind of boring yeah, well it was magic and I believe was a real benefit for many of us at the time to learn the basics of production without getting lost in plugins, computer settings or anything. Just load it up and make something happen.

And here is another magic thing, I have hundreds of projects I created in that time all saved away on my system and downloading this new windows compatible version I can load up a project from 26 years ago and it plays exactly the same as I created it. No chance of that on any macOS system these days!

Honestly if you are curious I would check out some videos on FTII and download this piece of software. Granted most kids would give up before they even found the nibble game these days but I could easily step back and make a few tracks in this again, been a good 20 years since I was last able to run this, other windows clones never sounded the same.

Comments

• D-One
    D-One PortugalModerator Posts: 415 mod

Oh man, nostalgic for sure... This was actually the first music-making software I've ever used. I wish I still had some projects made with it so I could laugh at the trash beats I made when I was 14yr.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Custom NKS Libraries: freelancesoundlabs.com/nksMember Posts: 401 Saw
    edited February 4

Yeah got plenty of those, somehow I managed to keep every project I ever made right back to the very first project I created. I knew they were terrible but didn't care because I made the sound happen and it was like magic to a 16 year old kid. Some of the ideas I did have back then were actually not too bad in melody, especially since I knew nothing more about music than where to find C on a keyboard. Still barely know more theory than that these days.

My next step from FTII was another tracker called "Buzz Tracker" which is also still available, however that introduced me to VST plugins and lead me to dive into Ableton Live eventually.