As a builder, how would you feel about a total compatibility break for Reaktor 7?

Options
2»

Comments

• colB
    colB Member Posts: 822 Guru
    edited August 2022
    Options

I guess if we are dreaming about impossibilities, what I would Really like is some future more complete version of Reaktor Core to become a proper grown up language, standardised and non-proprietary. So if NI changes direction, it would still live on.

The 'source code' would be saved in some sort of human readable markup language, but displayed in the usual boxes and wires type view for editing

Other vendors could release compilers for it

DAWs could implement it natively

Its unlikely to happen in the current market environment where companies and providers are trying to force folk more and more into proprietary ecosystems..

Imagine something like VST plugins, but all interactively editable/buildable like Reaktor...

Imagine in your DAW, you want to change the response curve of some mixer control... you just click into the structure and edit the code visually Reaktor style, and it is immediately ready to rock!

Or you prefer the soft clipping of one DAW, but prefer the interface of another... so you just implement similar soft clipping yourself (or pay someone else to do it) in the DAW you like...

• AsylumSpeaker
    AsylumSpeaker Member Posts: 23 Member
    Options

I mean, I'd be happy if I could just run Core cells directly in Maschine or Komplete Kontrol, with audio and control IO in a standard wrapper. Seems like a killer app for Maschine+ too. You'd just load a dummy Maschine Sound slot Reaktor ensemble that comes with stereo audio in and out, and MIDI, OSC, Link, System Clock, and whatever else. Build whatever you like in a single Core cell, and save the cell itself, not the ensemble. Then you can load that cell into Maschine directly and interface with it with the standard Maschine NKS and macro controls, MIDI and audio routing and so on. No UI at all, just the Maschine controls. It would be such a smooth, streamlined workflow to put all kinds of processing into an excellent live performance environment. Imagine just opening the DSP processor directly to alter it into something else entirely, nothing anywhere with any extraneous code, all efficient and simple. One can dream...