Can I use the laptop keyboard to modify a controller?

2»

Answers

• cazco
    cazco Member Posts: 46 Member
    Answer ✓

Korg got back to me. It seems it can’t be done.

Yes, the "Scene" button has to be pressed to change scenes on the unit. It can only be changed via MIDI using SysEx messages which the nanoSeries controllers cannot transmit. Even then, the unit would still cycle through the Scenes rather than select a specific one.”

Another option would be if I could select the target deck on the laptop and then all the buttons on the nano could apply to that but I don’t think it can be done either.

it seems I may need another controller. Thanks everyone for your help!

• wayfinder
    wayfinder Member Posts: 364 Guru
    edited July 2022

I had been thinking that if the function were triggerable from outside (without SysEx) but in only the same cycling way as pressing the button, then it would have been possible to send one cycle instruction on key down and four on key up.

But! Traktor DOES have a control for Deck Focus! In the Controller Manager, you can assign it to a control via Add In -> Layout -> Deck Focus Selector.

• Patch
    Patch Member Posts: 229 Pro
    edited July 2022

No mention of Bomes Midi Translator here yet?

• cazco
    cazco Member Posts: 46 Member

@wayfinder that is a clever work around, I will see if I can make that happen. Im just not sure if it can receive any midi messages at all.

There is another option in that I map everything to scene 1 and then the new instructions to scene 2 then the original instructions to scene 3 then back to scene 2's instruction to scene 4 and then scene 1s to 5. I think it might all get a bit confusing though. I watched this video which made me realise there are some very clever instructions I can send with modifiers which would help with the lack of buttons. For example the play/pause button could be programmed to also take you out of loop and play on when it is "in Loop" but be a pause button as originally intended when it's just playing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xxu4Rx3fR2I

I am struggling to get Deck Focus to work. It's probably because I am new to mapping and not good at this sort of thing but I will try. I need to set up the instructions to be deck focus first. Eg Loop - deck focus and then have another button that does the deck focusing so to speak. Appreciate your help and patience so much. It is a real head twister all this for my little brain.

@Patch Not heard of that, I will investigate thank you.