Traktor 4 Glitches and crashes after changing to Windows 10

snowbro
snowbro Member Posts: 10 Member

For the longest time, I used Traktor 2.6.8 (mostly) and Traktor 3 (sometimes) on my Windows 8 laptop (Asus with Pentium 7 processor) and a Pioneer DDJ-SZ controller without any problems. I also sometimes us a Pioneer T1 and an Akai AMX as controller.

Then I decided to upgrade to Traktor 4 and Windows 10 (as Traktor 4 recommends and thus needs that?). Since then Traktor has become unstable. Pops and glitches at least once in every track (I use Flac only) and sometimes the music keeps on playing, but the controller doesn't work any longer. This makes my Traktor laptop totally unuseable for gigs.

I also got a Kontrol S8 and that controller gives me the same problems, so I'm guessing it's not controller related. With the S8, when clicking setup, I can change the latency. However, on the Pioneer the latency is set on 256 but when I try to change it, the program crashes. Either way, the clicking and crashing wasn't an issue when I used Windows 8 and setting the latency higher doesn't seem to solve the problems.

I use the laptop only for dj'ing and I disabled as much stuff as I could (wi fi, bluetooth, updates and I even used debloater scripts to get rid of unwanted stuff). So here are my questions:

1. Will Traktor 4 work with Windows 8?
  2. Did anyone have the same problems with windows 10 and if yes, what did you do to fix it?
  3. Any suggestions (besides getting an Apple?)

Thanks for your replies !

Answers

• Heisenberg
    Heisenberg Member Posts: 311 Pro

What hardware are we talking about exactly, CPU, graphics, RAM, SSD?

And are all drivers up to date?

With Windows 10, at least one SATA SSD and 8GB RAM should be installed.

• snowbro
    snowbro Member Posts: 10 Member

The specs of my laptop. Here we go:

Asus N751J

Processor Intel I7-4710hq 2.50Ghz

16 Gb ram

Graphics Nvidea GeForce GTX 850M

Asio4All v 2.16

Windows 10 22H2 updated Oct 22 2024

1hd and 2 SSD with more than enough free space

Latest Pioneer DDJ-Sz drivers and firmware (altough they are older; it's not the latest controller. But still, it worked fine under Win8.)

All my tracks are FLAC format made with the Freac app

Latency setting in preferences: 256 processing 5.8ms output 0.0 overal 5.8ms. If I try to change it by clicking on settings, the Windows/system32 windows opens. If I close it, Traktor freezes, so I can not adjust the latency. (if I connect my Kontrol S8, I can change the latency, but when I hook up the Pioneer, the setting is again 256). Also, adjusting the latency n the Asio4All driver, doesn't help.

I switched off Multi-core processing in the audio setup just to be sure, but to no avail.

The crackling sounds is very short, but audible and annoying, like an old vinyl static crackle. It happens at least once every song, but most of the times it happens more than once. There is no peak in processing power (which is always on the very low side), nor is there a (noticeable) slowdown of the wave form. The crashing ( track keeps playing but no more reaction from the controller) happens randomly, not every time I play or record a set, but it never happened before when I used Windows 8. The crash happens even when I'm not touching the controller, the computer or the cables, just happens while listening to a song playing, so totally random.

When I disconnect and reconnect the usb, sometimes the controller works again, but that is no real solution ofcourse.

I hope this gives you the info you need. Thank you for your time !