Using Kontakt and NI Instruments along with Scaler 2.5 in the Reaper DAW

HookLine&Sinker
HookLine&Sinker Member Posts: 4 Member
edited June 2022 in Kontakt

Hello everyone! I have for the past few years been writing and recording music with different plugins as well as doing old school recordings of amps with mics and all the pains that goes with it. So, I thought: Why continue making it so hard on myself? Something which I certainly can´t come up with a good answer for. Cue: Native Instruments and Scaler 2.5. Does anybody run this combo, and what are your thoughts on how these impact your workflow? To me, combining these seems really interesting, but I´m curious what experiences you guys might have drawn from this?

all the best

HL&S

Tagged:

Best Answer

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,579 Expert
    Answer ✓

I don't really use Reaper even tho I have a license for it and I also own Scaler 1 but keep forgetting it's there tbh.

It's a great tool to come up with some quick progressions, I have used Cthulhu in the past quite a bit with good results, what is good with Scaler I guess is the fact you have some basic inbuilt instruments to test your patterns with then you can just record these to MIDI in your DAW and apply to any instrument you like. I assume it also offers a MIDI output so you can directly feed that into a second track to have Scaler play the instrument of choice on the second track.

I use the in-built scale feature of KK often just to get a start and then after printing this to a track I fiddle and play on top of it, works a charm.

Days gone by I use to just have a stack of MIDI chord progression files I would copy/paste a few things from.

Best thing is if you have these in your toolbox, get to work and just play with them and figure it out.

Answers

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,579 Expert
    Answer ✓

I don't really use Reaper even tho I have a license for it and I also own Scaler 1 but keep forgetting it's there tbh.

It's a great tool to come up with some quick progressions, I have used Cthulhu in the past quite a bit with good results, what is good with Scaler I guess is the fact you have some basic inbuilt instruments to test your patterns with then you can just record these to MIDI in your DAW and apply to any instrument you like. I assume it also offers a MIDI output so you can directly feed that into a second track to have Scaler play the instrument of choice on the second track.

I use the in-built scale feature of KK often just to get a start and then after printing this to a track I fiddle and play on top of it, works a charm.

Days gone by I use to just have a stack of MIDI chord progression files I would copy/paste a few things from.

Best thing is if you have these in your toolbox, get to work and just play with them and figure it out.

• HookLine&Sinker
    HookLine&Sinker Member Posts: 4 Member

Thanks JesterMgee! Appreciate your feedback.

all the best

HL&S