Editing Noir in a DAW

Options
larrychernicoff
larrychernicoff Member Posts: 6 Member
edited July 2022 in Kontakt

I'm not a music tech expert, and I'm considering purchasing Sonokinetic Noir. I have a question, and I think I know the answer, but here it is:

If I create a composition using Noir phrases for flugelhorn, for example, but in my DAW I want to substitute French horn for the flugelhorn, I think it should be possible just to change the software instrument assigned to the flugelhorn track. The new instrument assigned to the MIDI track could theoretically be anything - a French horn, cello, or any other software instrument.

Is that correct?

Best Answer

• Brad Yost
    Brad Yost Member Posts: 350 Pro
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓
    Options

Yes. In some instances the playable range may be different and require transposing; for example composing a part for low range cello, then assigning a 2nd violin would require a transposition of 2 octaves up.

But otherwise, a midi track can drive nearly any virtual instrument if the output port and midi channel are correct.

Answers

• Brad Yost
    Brad Yost Member Posts: 350 Pro
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓
    Options

Yes. In some instances the playable range may be different and require transposing; for example composing a part for low range cello, then assigning a 2nd violin would require a transposition of 2 octaves up.

But otherwise, a midi track can drive nearly any virtual instrument if the output port and midi channel are correct.