Is it possible to sync Kontakt Standalone to an external midi clock?

pix pop
pix pop Member Posts: 7 Member

I'm using Kontakt Standalone with a MIDI sequencer. Can I make Kontakt sync its tempo to the incoming MIDI from my srquencer, so that when I change tempo on the sequencer, Kontakt's tempo changes to match? This is so that loops and time based effects will play back at the same speed as the sequencer.

Best Answer

• Brad Yost
    Brad Yost Member Posts: 350 Pro
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓

From page 67 in the Kontakt v6.6 manual:

<3. Master Tempo: Displays the current global tempo in beats per minute, as well as sync options and song position controls.

• Ext: In stand-alone mode, the Ext button allows you to sync KONTAKT to an external MIDI clock. If running as a plug-in in your host program, KONTAKT will use and follow your song tempo by default. Deactivate the Ext to specify the tempo manually.>

If your sequencer can output MTC, then you're in business if you have the MIDI routing correct. If not, you will probably have to load Kontakt in your DAW and then sync it to the incoming MTC (or SMPTE) in chase mode.

Answers

• Brad Yost
    Brad Yost Member Posts: 350 Pro
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓

From page 67 in the Kontakt v6.6 manual:

<3. Master Tempo: Displays the current global tempo in beats per minute, as well as sync options and song position controls.

• Ext: In stand-alone mode, the Ext button allows you to sync KONTAKT to an external MIDI clock. If running as a plug-in in your host program, KONTAKT will use and follow your song tempo by default. Deactivate the Ext to specify the tempo manually.>

If your sequencer can output MTC, then you're in business if you have the MIDI routing correct. If not, you will probably have to load Kontakt in your DAW and then sync it to the incoming MTC (or SMPTE) in chase mode.

• pix pop
    pix pop Member Posts: 7 Member

Thank you. This worked for me. Actually, my sequencer only outputs Midi beat clock and the transport stop/start messages, but it still worked.