Battery 4 Stadium LE Kit - High hats not playing correctly

bhuether1
bhuether1 Member Posts: 13 Member
edited May 2022 in Battery 4

Hi,

I am noticing something odd. I have a series of open and closed HH hits in my MIDI track. A#1 is open G#1 is closed. But as I watch the Battery 4 grid during playback, I see that when G#1 should be played, A#1 is being played instead, even though the MIDI track is sending the correct notes. I don't have any MIDI effects that are transforming G#1 to A#1. So during playback I just hear a bunch of open HH sounds, because the G#1 hits are not producing the correct notes in Battery 4. Now if I play G#1 on my MIDI keyboard, then Battery does indeed play the G#1 closed HH. What could be going on here?

thanks

Tagged:

Best Answer

• bhuether1
    Answer ✓

Logic Pro.

I figured it out. Quite weird. Turns out, Logic Drummer uses what Logic Refers to as Articulation IDs which apparently are embedded in the MIDI data. I guess this has something to do with GM+ and how it uses Articulation ID,s encoded in CC1 to determine, for instance, what sorts of high hat samples to play (open, closed, etc).

So when I looked at the List Editor in Logic, I saw that both G#1 and A#1 had Articulation ID 4. No idea why that would be the case. So I had to change those IDs to be 1,2, or 3, in which case Battery then plays the G#1 sample. From this, one can conclude that Battery has internal logic, that is something like "If MIDI contains articulation ID for a HH sample, ignore the MIDI note value, and instead play whatever note corresponds to HH, and play the sample corresponding to the Articulation ID."

I can see this, as I set G#1's articulation ID. When it is 4, Battery is lighting up A#1 cell. When it is 1,2 or 3, it is lighting up G#1 cell.

Really hope NI dev team looks at these posts, as I believe Battery needs additional settings, so that user can, for instance, choose "Ignore Articulation IDs".

Answers

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert

What DAW? Did you check the cell layers on the setup tab to see if there are incorrect samples assigned to the cell and assigned to different velocity layers?

• bhuether1
    Answer ✓

Logic Pro.

I figured it out. Quite weird. Turns out, Logic Drummer uses what Logic Refers to as Articulation IDs which apparently are embedded in the MIDI data. I guess this has something to do with GM+ and how it uses Articulation ID,s encoded in CC1 to determine, for instance, what sorts of high hat samples to play (open, closed, etc).

So when I looked at the List Editor in Logic, I saw that both G#1 and A#1 had Articulation ID 4. No idea why that would be the case. So I had to change those IDs to be 1,2, or 3, in which case Battery then plays the G#1 sample. From this, one can conclude that Battery has internal logic, that is something like "If MIDI contains articulation ID for a HH sample, ignore the MIDI note value, and instead play whatever note corresponds to HH, and play the sample corresponding to the Articulation ID."

I can see this, as I set G#1's articulation ID. When it is 4, Battery is lighting up A#1 cell. When it is 1,2 or 3, it is lighting up G#1 cell.

Really hope NI dev team looks at these posts, as I believe Battery needs additional settings, so that user can, for instance, choose "Ignore Articulation IDs".

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert

Pretty sure Articulation IDs are specific to Logic, so this would be a Logic issue, not a Battery issue.