Share advice you'd give to your newbie self

1235»

Comments

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI BerlinAdministrator Posts: 939 admin

@AutumnSounds said:

LEARN how to use the plugins that come with your DAW and Komplete. - They'll do what you need, then once you've exhasted all knowledge and can apply that knowledge, THEN go explore other work-flows.

@Joe Patterson said:

don't go and buy a bunch of stuff, learn what you have and learn everything it can do. 

@Polygala said:

Too many options to knock you off course. There is too much you can do! Most of it can wait.

Think we can all agree that choice paralysis is really a thing.

• manassas77
    manassas77 Member Posts: 4 Sine

I'd tell myself if I want to be able to mix hi-hats in later life, wear earplugs when playing live gigs ... I said "GET SOME EFFIN' EARPLUGS!" Or at least leave the room while the drummer is doing his soundcheck :)

Don't be a plugin junkie #1 : 80% of the effects you buy will be variations on EQ, Compression and Distortion, and won't contribute very much more than the stock DAW FX.

Don't be a plugin junkie #2 : Most soft synths do pretty much the same thing, so you will be just be buying presets at a premium price rather than more new instruments.

The moral of this tale as others have pointed out, is RTFM!

• L Dee
    L Dee Member Posts: 6 Sine

1. To practice piano everyday. Especially learning all of your scales.
    2. Find more quality musicians to hang/work with, steel sharpens steel
    3. Learn how to maintain your gear sooner so that you're not at the mercy of high priced repairmen
    4. don't go wild on the plugins, that's putting the cart before the horse
    5. Don't rush, have fun learning and enjoy the journey
    6. Have multiple backups!
  • Chromofonic
    Chromofonic Member Posts: 9 Sine

There is some solid advice in all the replies above. I tried to give my advice in video form. The 4 biggest myths of sampling virtual instruments. I don't want to offend anybody in the video. I share things I wished I knew as a newbie. I love Kontakt! It should be advertised more and contrasted against all the proprietary sample players big sampling companies try to push.

• Kaiwan_NI
    edited February 10

Learn how to maintain your gear sooner so that you're not at the mercy of high priced repairmen

Ouch. Any gear maintaining tips @L Dee?

• Kaiwan_NI
    edited February 10

Thanks for the video (and a good laugh) @Chromofonic. Solid advice. Nicely shot. That forest walk in the beginning looks super chill!

Yo @EvilDragon you made an appearance at 6:33. 😂

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon CroatiaModerator Posts: 633 mod
    edited February 11

Ahahahaha! 😁

• L Dee
    L Dee Member Posts: 6 Sine

Absolutely! buy spare parts in excess while they're still cheap (esp tact switches). Also don't be afraid of a soldering iron!

• Zolthar
    Zolthar Member Posts: 10 Sine

As a relatively new producer I love the advice in this thread. I wish I had learned to play an instrument or two when I was young, so that's something I'd definitely recommend to start asap.

• Kaiwan_NI

@Zolthar said:

I wish I had learned to play an instrument or two when I was young.

Same. Or in my case I did learn to play, until my piano teacher asked me to stop coming to class because she could see there was zero passion in me lol