Can I connect my Komplete Audio 2 to a guitar amp without ruining either of them?

Options
raumfisch
raumfisch Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

I have a Komplete Audio 2 Interface with two 6.5 jack outputs. Can I connect two guitar combos to it without breaking anything? Will that work at all? Electric guitar as input, Komplete Audio as crossover, 2 guitar combos as monitors. Looking forward to clever answers. Thx!

P.S. Of course, the interface works great with the computer, what it actually is made for. Nevertheless I'm curious if this could work, too.

Answers

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,234 mod
    Options

It'll need to be connected to the computer for it to work, pretty sure you can't do that standalone. Easiest way will be to run Guitar Rig on the computer, guitar into the input and send the outs to your guitar combos.

• raumfisch
    Options

Thanks for the quick answer. So in this constellation the guitar combos take over the function of active loudspeakers and none of the devices risk damage, correct?

• mykejb
    Options

Yep that's correct. Keep the output from the KA2 low for a start as the outputs run at line level rather than guitar level. If your combos have line level or FX return inputs you can use those, which is what I do with my Marshall JVM205 combo if I'm using a computer or modelling pedal with line level outs.

• aniaquen232
    aniaquen232 Member Posts: 4 Newcomer
    Options

Connecting two guitar combos to the Komplete Audio 2 interface can be done, but it's not the typical usage scenario for this type of interface. However, it could potentially work with some considerations:

1. Impedance Matching: Make sure the impedance of the guitar combos matches the output impedance of the Komplete Audio 2. Mismatched impedance can lead to signal loss or damage to the equipment.
    2. Stereo vs. Mono: The Komplete Audio 2 has two outputs, but they are typically used for stereo sound when connected to monitors or headphones. You may need to check if your guitar combos support stereo input or if they require a mono signal.
  • mykejb
    Options

Yeah good points. The mismatched impedance isn't likely to cause damage, although it might affect the frequency response and general level. The main thing to worry about is hitting the amp with a huge input signal which could produce VERY loud output. Been there, done that briefly, hence the "keep the volume low" comment.

If you're taking one output to each amp you're effectively running stereo anyway, and if Guitar Rig is only used as a passthrough to split the signal without any effects in the chain the left/right will be the same. Unless you're doing Brian May style ping-pong delays of course!

• raumfisch
    Options

Thank you very much for the detailed and competent answers.

Now I can narrow down the question, but unfortunately I'm only halfway there concerning the impedance matching.

In my case, I have two Marshall MG15G with an impedance of 8 ohms.

I can only find the following information about the KOMPLETE AUDIO 2: Output: Balanced, Maximum output level: +12 dBu, Frequency response: 20 Hz - 20 kHz +/- 0.1 dB. I cannot find any further information on the output of this interface.

Could you possibly help me, the apparently inexperienced, with the last step across the street?