Is it possible to make a pattern less than 1 bar long?

Options
Humantree01
Humantree01 Member Posts: 20 Member

I would like to make patterns that can create polymeters where one track repeats at a differing length from another.

Tagged:

Best Answers

• darkwaves
    darkwaves Member Posts: 342 Guru
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hold shift and you can move your locators. You'll need to handle this at the pattern level; so understand everything in the group is going to use the new pattern length. You can then have a pattern in a different group playing something that's a different pattern length.

Generally people talk about this concept while wanting sound 1 playing a pattern length that's different than sound 2 in the same group. Maschine can't do that. Use multiple groups and you can get all sorts of weird rhythms. That might mean you'll have group A1 as nothing but a single kick drum and group B1 as just a snare.

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,358 Expert
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hold Shift while changing Pattern length allows you to set the length value with subdivision resolution. AFAIR it’s depending on the meter.

Answers

• Humantree01
    Options

I tried resampling into an audio, stretching, and adjusting tempo to get certain lengths. Works but its kinda messy.

• Humantree01
    Options

Ok that doesn't work, but what does however its inexact is resampling then trucating and putting into a pattern loop. Anyone else find a midi way to do this stand alone?

• darkwaves
    darkwaves Member Posts: 342 Guru
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hold shift and you can move your locators. You'll need to handle this at the pattern level; so understand everything in the group is going to use the new pattern length. You can then have a pattern in a different group playing something that's a different pattern length.

Generally people talk about this concept while wanting sound 1 playing a pattern length that's different than sound 2 in the same group. Maschine can't do that. Use multiple groups and you can get all sorts of weird rhythms. That might mean you'll have group A1 as nothing but a single kick drum and group B1 as just a snare.

• ozon
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hold Shift while changing Pattern length allows you to set the length value with subdivision resolution. AFAIR it’s depending on the meter.

• Humantree01
    Options

Ok im not sure my last way actually works either, it looks like it auto corrects

• Humantree01
    Options

Thank you ozone! It seems like I can only choose one other length this way, but it works! Any way to have more freedom?

• Humantree01
    Options

Darkwave, that was a fantastic answer for use in tue maschine software. Thank you. Do you know if there is a way to do ot in standalone mode?

• Humantree01
    Options

So it looks like it works if I hold shift when selecting pattern length if I select larger than 1 bar. Thanks everyone for your help!

• ozon
    edited April 15
    Options

Don’t know what you mean.

This Pattern is shorter than one bar.

Minimum length is 0:0:1 (one sixteenth note), depending on the Grid -> Step setting.

• Humantree01
    Options

I was going to say, I did it! To go shorter, other than one setting you really have to crank that knob a lot. Thanks for all your help! Hello polymeters!

• ozon
    Options

BTW, you can change Pattern length during playback, which can be fun and result in interesting polyrhythms - more or less useful depending on the type of music you’re creating. At least, in can be inspiring.