May release of new playback engine for NI samples...

Comments

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,716 mod

Sorry not for me, I can imagine how much work it would cause having to fix wrongly tagged patches - bad enough I have to do that when people use their own tags instead of the standard NI ones.

• Olihop
    Olihop Member Posts: 152 Advisor

Don't worry, the algos are powerful enough today to be able to clearly differentiate a drum sound from a synth sound or a piano sound etc.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,716 mod
    edited May 2022

I have Sononym and it constantly needs correcting, plus we are talking about presets not samples with respect to KK. Humans mess this stuff up all the time so I have no confidence a machine could do better. Besides drum vs melodic sound are easy but when we get into edge cases like what is a pad and what is a soundscape it gets more complicated

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,284 Guru
    edited May 2022

It is just a matter of time.. going forward, there is no way that human analysis and catalogue style tagging can compete with the potential of AI/ML. Just look at the evolution of item identification within photos over the past few years.. what is common place now is already astounding.

Factor in what will be wanted for audio analysis within the marketplace for augmented reality... and things will be much different in the world of finding the images and sounds we seek. It's all about quickly recognizing patterns in the world around us and feeding into a near realtime data stream.

Music production will piggyback on these technologies.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,788 Expert

Yes, in 3-5 years, it might come. Maybe sooner, but inefficient and unreliable.

• nightjar

There are many market forces that will drive the technologies that music production will piggyback on. And the results need to be fast, efficient and accurate.

Case in point:

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,788 Expert

Who was it that has burried heaps of money in Autonomous Cars development? The same with Autonomous Drones....

Time will come, sure. One day. AI and ML is trendy now. It used to be trendy 30 years ago, as well. Now, with HW 1000 times more powerful.... It is closer to broad use....

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,577 Expert

Why not just take a leaf out of Spotifys book and just have AI generate music directly, would then need none of us to complain about the state of anything then, we could all get back to whatever it is we do instead.

• nightjar

Yep.. Shame that it's a lame name and no one will claim the blame.

• nightjar

I've been playing with the free UVI Workstation....

Thinking that the upcoming Plugin Alliance MEGA Sample player might be a lot like this.

Hmmm...

• nightjar

Guess we will be seeing this new Sample Player from Plugin Alliance very soon!

And I just re-read something from PA founder Dirk with a tidbit of info:

"We are also about to launch a cloud-based sample player in May, with intelligently tagged content/samples and integrated PABX partner effects."

Intelligently tagged? Count me excited to see this in action soon!

• nightjar
    edited June 2022

More info to tweak our interests...

I hope that NI goes beyond just having some of their content be part of this MEGA Sampler environment and integrates control from KK keyboards.

• Olihop
    Olihop Member Posts: 152 Advisor

Some interesting options, wait and see

• nightjar

More info released today... and a June 15 product release.

Here's some info now:

• nightjar

Here's a peek from NAMM at some of the Native Instrument content in MEGA Sampler: