Kontakt 7 causing Kernel panic shutoff on Mac Studio! (KT-8785)

Options
123457»

Answers

• strigi
    strigi Member Posts: 52 Member
    Options

I confirmed that this is not a solution unfortunately. Thank you for the insight! It still crashes in Rosetta sadly.

• strigi
    Options

Thank you friend! A lot of us are devs here, so it's good to get as many people in here as possible! Thank you! :)

• ivicam
    ivicam Member Posts: 55 Member
    edited April 20
    Options

Yet another funny thing about this issue...

Few months ago I wrote my own AU plugin (in JUCE) for Logic Pro that can host VST3 instruments. With this AU, I can place a VST3 that outputs MIDI into Logic's MIDI FX slot and use it as a MIDI effect for another AU instrument. For example, I can use Pigment's sequencer to sequence Alchemy. In other DAWs this is achieved by routing MIDI to another track, but this is not (yet) possible in Logic Pro.

As I also built the instrument and audio effect versions of the plugin, I wanted to check whether Kontakt 7 causes kernel panic when hosted inside my AU plugin inside Logic. And guess what, it doesn't. This is indeed a very weird bug...

• strigi
    Options

Wow that's actually really really interesting... Something in the wrapper, in the GUI...

• ivicam
    ivicam Member Posts: 55 Member
    Options

Ah, I did eventually crash. But it was kind of random and I can't reproduce it unlike with "naked" Kontakt.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,873 mod
    Options

Another user reported the following:

macOS 14.5 beta 3 dropped a few minutes ago. I am back to no more Kontakt crashes in Digital Performer or Logic,

The GUI window flickers on my external monitors but again, no crashes even when I change libraries.

As long as this works and I find no other issues, I will stand pat on this beta 3 until the macOS 14.5 official release.

There also have been similar reports on other forums. We would recommend to any affected user that has access to this beta to give it a try.

• strigi
    Options

That's some of the most promising news to date. Wow, thank you! Is there any way of knowing when this official version release of Sonoma is coming?

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,873 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hey all, latest update:

We are currently working on a fix to the issue, and have an experimental build of Kontakt available. Please note that this update is in the process of being verified, and may introduce other unforeseen issues. If you’d like access to this experimental update, please get in touch with our Customer Care team here: https://bit.ly/NI_support_kontakt (we already contacted some of you that already had contacted about on the issue)

For those who wish to continue using the released version of Kontakt, the following workarounds may reduce the frequency of crashes:

• Avoid using an external monitor if using a MacBook
    • Try an alternate connection (e.g. displayport / thunderbolt if using HDMI, or vice versa)
    • Adjust resolution or frame rate of external monitor
    • Use a different external monitor

Additionally, early testing indicates that the crashes are less likely to occur on macOS 14.5, which is currently in public beta. However, no timeframe for this macOS update is currently available. You can access their beta here: https://beta.apple.com/

• strigi
    edited May 8
    Options

Thank you for all of this! I can confirm, the beta version works great: it has not crashed on me once since getting it. :)