Kontakt 7 causing Kernel panic shutoff on Mac Studio! (KT-8785)

Options

Answers

• ivicam
    ivicam Member Posts: 55 Member
    Options

@Machinesworking

In my case it crashes in Live and Logic, but not in Reaper, with or without an external monitor attached. Super weird…

Also, I think I was able to avoid the crash on MBP (internal display only) by changing the refresh rate from ProMotion (adaptive up tp 120Hz) to 60 Hz. But I am not really willing to test that in detail…

• strigi
    strigi Member Posts: 52 Member
    Options
  • strigi
    Options

I feel exactly the same. When I spoke to Apple, this dude gave me a huge song and dance about how they can't help me because they just wanna dump it off on 3rd party. Is NI going to help or will we be stuck waiting for 6 months-year for something to get fixed?

• ivicam
    Options

@Jeremy_NI

Can you at least tell us if NI developers are aware of this issue and can they reproduce it?

• Machinesworking
    Machinesworking Member Posts: 6 Member
    edited April 2
    Options

Yeah I've noticed that other people are having issues with other DAWs than I am, it's perplexing, but it points to NI that it's specific to Kontakt, and to a seemingly lessor degree Guitar Rig and Komplete Kontrol. It's not really unusual unfortunately. NI have so many products with so many developers taking part in the process, that a lot of things are slower for them than they should be. The "Future of Sound" is not MPE compatible for the most part, they have limited GUI resizing capabilities in most of their plugins, and I would doubt that the full spec of VST3 is truly implemented. I mean with that in mind, (GUI issues in terms of 4K monitors all these years later), you have to think there's some serious technical debt still in their GUI code. All that said, Apple Silicon and tightening security with Apple is the perfect recipe for some ugly bug like this. Kontakt stand alone is "essentially" the same GUI and it seems to work fine here, it's a weird bug.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,873 mod
    Options

We were not able to reproduce the issue yet.

If you use Komplete Kontrol instead of Kontakt, do you get these crashes as well?

Do the crashes happen with other QT plug-ins (Guitar Rig 7 or Massive X)?

Since the crash is pretty severe I magine there are no crashlogs created but just in case of, please share any crashlogs related to your DAW or Kontakt:

1. Press COMMAND + SPACE
    2. Type Console
    3. Then you see this

1. Then you can right-click the Crashlog and click on SHOW in FINDER.
    2. Then zip the file and attach it to your post.

• ivicam
    edited April 3
    Options

I get the crashes with Komplete Kontrol, Kontakt and Guitar Rig 6. Haven't tried with Massive X.

I can consistently reproduce it on MacBook Pro with M2 Max processor on Sonoma 14.4.1 (built-in display only) by loading any of the aforementioned plugins to Ableton Live 12 or Logic Pro (latest version) and then activating Mission Control by swiping up with three fingers on the trackpad.

There is no DAW or plugin-specific crash report as this is a kernel panic not the software crash. I attached the kernel panic report.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,812 mod
    Options

Just updated to Sonoma 14.4.1 this evening but I can't reproduce this so far on my M1 Max - either using 3 finger swipe on my Magic Trackpad or the keyboard Mission Control key - not in Logic or Live 12. Tried a variety of plugins loaded in KK 3.2.1 and instruments in Kontakt 7.9. Maybe M2+ related then?

• strigi
    Options

That's actually a good sign I think. Also, it no longer does it to me after Sonoma 14.4.1 on a Mac Studio M2 Ultra.

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@ivicam Thanks for all the info, I'm forwarding it to our QA and devs.

• ivicam
    Options

@Jeremy_NI

I tried again, just in case. The same happened. But what's new now is that after the restart I can't even open Kontakt anymore, not even standalone. It crashes on launch (crash report attached).

Maybe my computer is trying to protect itself from kernel panic by not allowing Kontakt to launch? 😄

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,812 mod
    edited April 4
    Options

Maybe it needs psychotherapy rather than a bug fix 😂

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@ivicam Haha! Yes maybe, we have a saying in French "a cat burnt with hot water is scared of cold water"

Please give this a go: Kontakt Crashes hopefully a little database reset will do the trick.

• ivicam
    Options

Database reset did the trick.

• ivicam
    edited April 4
    Options

@Jeremy_NI

Another interesting info about the kernel panic issue - it doesn't happen in Rosetta mode in neither Logic nor Live.