Hit the pads, it records midi but the sound stops

Options
insectarium
insectarium Member Posts: 7 Member

I have been searching all over for an answer to this.

Using the Middle East and Arkhis Libraries as examples. If I play with the pads and instruments, I get sounds/audio no problem. As soon as I hit record and start playing in Keyboard mode on the pads, I get a brief clip of the sound. The audio cuts off. The midi notes record normally, but there is no sound until the recorded midi notes are read again by the playhead. I can see the midi notes, velocity, pitch changes, get recorded but the sound is gone until the playhead comes back around and plays the midi notes I recorded.

Thank you in advance for your time!

Tagged:

Best Answer

• insectarium
    Answer ✓
    Options

I really appreciate you taking all this time to try to help me figure out this problem. Wait until you hear the solution. It is so simple... yet so irritating.... so much time I have wasted on this...

I had Swing set to 44%. As soon as I dropped it to zero, the audio played normally while I played and recorded the notes.

To answer your question above, I am using aggregate so I can sample using a mic input on the Onyx. The mic requires phantom power, so I can't directly connect the mic to Maschine.

I have tried various ways and this is what works. I then end up routing everything to Logic. So I have a stereo channel from Maschine recording in Logic and then all the other mic inputs are routed into Logic channels. There really isn't much info out there on using the Onyx in this setup. The Maschine has to be in standalone otherwise I can't sample into it.

I appreciate your input, and for trying to help! I may review your notes again down the road to see if there is another way to run everything! Right now, I am just going to play how it is because it's working! :)

Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,797 mod
    Options

@insectarium Is this happening in Maschine in standalone? In your DAW? Both? What DAW are you using? What is your operating system?

• insectarium
    edited January 15
    Options

@Jeremy_NI I am in standalone, Maschine app only. I also unplugged the Maschine hardware and replaced it with my S61 keyboard and had the same results within the app. Keys play normally but once I hit record not all sounds will play. The midi notes record without a responding sound.

MacOS Montterey 12.7.2 2.3Ghz, 8 core Intel i9, 64GB RAM.

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@insectarium What are your audio settings? Can you post a screenshot of your MIDI inputs and outputs in Maschine's preferences?

• insectarium
    Options

I am using MacOS Aggregate Audio settings because I am connecting to a Mackie Onyx 12 mixing board. Maschine L & R audio outs go into the Mackie 11/12 input. I have tested adjusting the Buffer Size. I can send a video if needed; I tried to attach one. I run my plugin audio out to a bus Group but have tested running the Destination to Master out, etc. Again, it only happens once I hit Record. I can play all day, but once I hit Record it does not play the audio, just a brief snippet. My bus group is heavy with reverb effects and it picks up the snippet of audio and reverbs it, etc. It just doesn't play the whole key-press. Midi records just fine.

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

Well, on the video we don't see much. What instrument or sample?sound is used?

For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried with only the MK3 as audio output? With your internal soundcard?

• insectarium
    Options

I tested running the audio only through my Macbook speakers to the same result. Please see video. Using Arkhis and Middle East as examples.

• insectarium
    Options

I also completely uninstalled the Maschine App today, and reinstalled. Problem remains.

• insectarium
    Options

I tested using a "new" project, and the audio/record function works fine. So it is some sort of option or setting I have in my established project that is causing this error.

Going back to my established project, I found that I can record in Clips mode and hear the audio just fine. As I hit notes the sound plays with no breaking, but when I switch back to Pattern Mode then the audio cuts off with each note while recording. I do not normally use Clips mode. I am just trying to troubleshoot and found that it works. I don't know what would be the difference between the audio out routings between Clips and Pattern modes.

I am beginning to think my issue is being lost in the mix here and it is very discouraging.

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@insectarium So you mean it's only happening in one project? If this happens in more than one and you can reproduce the issue, please get in touch with my colleagues here: https://bit.ly/NI_support_maschine

• 6xes
    6xes Member Posts: 642 Pro
    Options

i took the time to read through your posts....

what i would suggest as a starting point for trouble shooting.... is keeping the audio routing to a bare minimum.... by this i mean simply use a single audio interface, and determine if you have an issue with your interface... and test the "record function"

if your tests prove the MK3 to not be the problem... remove the mk3 from the equation and carry out the same tests with your onyx and test the "record" to see if the issue still exists

the next test would be making sure your output channel and input channels are different....

normally 1+2 is your output but if you are recording with inputs 1+2 while outputting on 1+2, this which will create feedback loop, and some software applications will auto-mute.... so you need to be mindful of your routing...

i do wonder why you have created an aggregate device(with 2 interfaces?) if you are not recording external audio?? im assuming that you are recording everything from within the computer environment? as you dont mention any reference to external audio being recorded?

• 6xes
    edited January 29
    Options

looking at the video.... and your inputs & outputs in the pics provided

you are recording the inputs coming from the onyx... so unless you have sound coming through the onyx 5+6 there will be no sound!

the midi of course is being recorded as this can be seen on the midi lane

i would check inside the maschine mixer and make sure your inputs are set correctly and your outputs are also set correctly...

keep your outputs on 1+2 and record with 3+4(dependant on which of the channels middle east & arkhis use) & keep things simple, until you fully grasp the use of Ext's or aggregate devices

for the purposes of monitoring which of the channels Middle east & Arkhis are coming through on... use the sampler and change between the channels 1+2 / 3+4 / 5+6 / 7+8 and switch on monitoring... just be mindful of feedback

goodluck!

• 6xes
    edited January 29
    Options

note: when using aggregates as in the case for your inputs... on your aggregate pic

Maschine has only 2 which is 1 and 2

Onyx has 14 inputs going by your pic... this means 3 & 4 are your first pairs & then 5 & 6 are your second pairs of inputs on the Onyx interface and so on (sequential numbering)

so the 5 & 6 are actually the 3 & 4 of the onyx... which is what the Maschine input picture shows...

so just be aware of the numbering system... likewise with aggregated outputs!

• insectarium
    Answer ✓
    Options

I really appreciate you taking all this time to try to help me figure out this problem. Wait until you hear the solution. It is so simple... yet so irritating.... so much time I have wasted on this...

I had Swing set to 44%. As soon as I dropped it to zero, the audio played normally while I played and recorded the notes.

To answer your question above, I am using aggregate so I can sample using a mic input on the Onyx. The mic requires phantom power, so I can't directly connect the mic to Maschine.

I have tried various ways and this is what works. I then end up routing everything to Logic. So I have a stereo channel from Maschine recording in Logic and then all the other mic inputs are routed into Logic channels. There really isn't much info out there on using the Onyx in this setup. The Maschine has to be in standalone otherwise I can't sample into it.

I appreciate your input, and for trying to help! I may review your notes again down the road to see if there is another way to run everything! Right now, I am just going to play how it is because it's working! :)