M1/M2 vs Intel Mac to run Komplete Collectors Edition 14

Options
Charleebbarkin
Charleebbarkin Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

I purchased KOMPLETE 14 COLLECTORS EDITION this last summer, and tried using it on my 2012 macbook pro 13” i7 dual core.

Even with open core patcher and OS Ventura, the computer would glitch up and struggle to run Kontakt. It is dual core 2.9 i7, 16gb ram, 2tb SSD.

I am looking to upgrade to a Mac more suited to running Komplete 14 Collectors Edition.

I’ve read about people having issues running Komplete on m1 silicon macs, so I was considering a 2018 mac mini i7 with 64gb ram, a 2013 mac pro with 6-8 cores and 64gb ram, or a m1 mac studio 10 core with 32-64gb ram.

what would you guys suggest for running komplete 14 successfully? An older intel mac with 64gb of ram or newer m1/m2 apple silicon?

thank you for your time, I appreciate any advice, insights and suggestions you have to offer

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jojo123
    Jojo123 Member Posts: 236 Advisor
    edited December 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Yes your dual core is going to be struggling I think.

Just for something to compare, Im on an intel iMac 2019 8core i9 40GB Ram small internal SSD. Im an K14 UCE owner as well. Run my Libraries on T7 external SSD.

For what I do my machine is still great. Theres a few Libraries such as the "light" series ( Straylight etc) which make a core hit the top if I press more than one note. Not all presets do that, but just to be aware, it would very much depend on what your needs are. That would majorly play into what is right for your situation, which of course only you can decide.

On a general level, I wouldn't go back to intel. Silcon is the future, but Id still recommend doing some digging on M3's vs M1s and 2s. A lot to consider, which it looks like you are doing. Hopefully you can coax the old machine to keep on keeping on for a little bit longer so you have time to do your research.

Hope this helps just a little bit.

EDIT to add, Id recommend putting as much RAM as you can afford unless your usage is minimal. Many people hit a brick wall with just 8GB and Id never recommend going that low for any DAW or music work.

Answers

• Jojo123
    Jojo123 Member Posts: 236 Advisor
    edited December 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Yes your dual core is going to be struggling I think.

Just for something to compare, Im on an intel iMac 2019 8core i9 40GB Ram small internal SSD. Im an K14 UCE owner as well. Run my Libraries on T7 external SSD.

For what I do my machine is still great. Theres a few Libraries such as the "light" series ( Straylight etc) which make a core hit the top if I press more than one note. Not all presets do that, but just to be aware, it would very much depend on what your needs are. That would majorly play into what is right for your situation, which of course only you can decide.

On a general level, I wouldn't go back to intel. Silcon is the future, but Id still recommend doing some digging on M3's vs M1s and 2s. A lot to consider, which it looks like you are doing. Hopefully you can coax the old machine to keep on keeping on for a little bit longer so you have time to do your research.

Hope this helps just a little bit.

EDIT to add, Id recommend putting as much RAM as you can afford unless your usage is minimal. Many people hit a brick wall with just 8GB and Id never recommend going that low for any DAW or music work.