Definitive / Optimal Setup Of An External HDD For Kontakt Libraries?

Options
FinleyGomez
FinleyGomez Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
edited September 2023 in Komplete General

Hi all,

I'm about to invest in an external hard drive for storing all of my Kontakt libraries for use on my iMac, does anyone here know what would be:

• The best format for the hard drive for the fastest load times? [I.E. exFAT, NTFS, APFS etc.]
  • The recommended read speed to look for? [I.E. How many MB/s for the fastest read speed]
  • The best connector types for fastest read times [I.E. Should I look for USB 3.0, USB-C, Thunderbolt etc.]

Reason I ask is because I have experimented before to varying results (Sometimes the drive would be snappy, other times it would no joke take a whole minute to load a single Kontakt library).

So in your guys opinion, what would you say is the definitive external HDD for the best read / load times for Kontakt libraries?

Cheers,

Fin

Tagged:

Comments

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,306 Expert
    Options

If you want to go sure, I would look at SSD instead of HDD

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,095 mod
    edited September 2023
    Options

Hello,

from what I can see in some tests the samsung t7 portable 2TB (SSD) should be good. It is a USB 3.2 gen2 device with USB c connection but you have 2 cables one USB c to c and one USB c to a, best port is the one directly on your mac without a usb hub

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,787 mod
    Options

@FinleyGomez Format wise, APFS is strongly recommended on Mac. Notes on Hard Drive Formats on Mac Computers Stay away from ExFat as it's known to cause really bad performance on Kontakt instruments.