delay with clearable buffer

Options
thomas grey
thomas grey Member Posts: 13 Member

Hello,

I'm writing this message because I need to build a delay Macro that would work exactly like the "Single Delay" Primary Module when used for audio echo (with High Quality Interpolation), but with the ability to clear the buffer at any time.

I've tried to figure out several Ensembles with such capability, built in Reaktor Core, that I've found in the User Library (for example, "Quake Pong" and "Shpongler" by Z Gabr), but afer several attempts it seems there is far too much going on in these devices so that I can find my way and keep only what I'm looking for.

One more piece of information: I've spent quite a bit of time building in Primary, but I'm fairly new to Core...

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me a little in my endeavor.

Regards,

Thom

Comments

• colB
    colB Member Posts: 830 Guru
    Options

The factory core delay modules have this functionality built in. Just sent an event on the SR.Reset bus to the delay module and it will reset it's buffer. Primary does not have this feature. But you can wrap a core delay in a cell and add a tiny bit of logic for the reset input. Should be easy enough.

I did write a detailed explanation of how the different versions of the factory buffer reset work. But that's lost in the old forum, so you would have to search it on archive.org. good luck with that ;)

• colB
    Options

here are two (untested) versions. both are core cells. One is just a basic delay, so no feedback etc., so you would handle that externally in Primary. The other uses the more fully featured delay FX from the library.

In both, the reset is handled by feeding any event at the reset input into the reset channel on the SR bus. You could attach e.g. a trigger mode button to this.

• colB
    Options

Here's the same thing in stereo with some curves on the mix levels so centre isn't quieter.

You will sometimes get a click on resetting the buffer due to the discontinuity at reset.

The way to fix that is when the reset is clicked instead of immediately resetting, first ramp down the in and out on the delay (or just the output? can't remember), then reset, then ramp up again. The ramps can be maybe one or two ms.

I wrote a long post with details about how to do that on the old forum too :)

• thomas grey
    Options

Thank you very much @colB , I will try the Core cells and the Ensemble as soon as I can.

No problem regarding the click, as I will always cleanly mute the output before resetting the buffer.

• thomas grey
    edited July 2023
    Options

Hello @colB

Thanks again for the examples and suggested solutions.

Unfortunately, it seems the Ensemble you shared was made with Reaktor 6.5.0 (Beta ?). But the most recent version I'm using at the moment is 6.4.0, so I cannot open this Ensemble.

I've rebuilt the Core Cells according to the structures shown in the screenshots, but so far it doesn't work (no sound is emitted from the Core Cells).

If you could upload the same Ensemble saved in Reaktor 6.4.0 that would certainly help...

• colB
    Options

6.5 is the current version of Reaktor. If it doesn't show up in Native Access, check that you have the latest version of that ( mine is 3.3.0 ). I had to upgrade becase R6.5 idn't show in the old one. Old Native Access doesn't give you notification to update!

Anyway-----

If you post what you have, I can check it and maybe tell you what the issue is, if it's obvious...

• thomas grey
    Options

Hello @colB ,

As Native Access indicated that no Reaktor update was available, I supposed that 6.4.0 was the latest, and 6.5.0 still in Beta...

At the moment for various reasons I'm still under OSX 10.13. Apparently I cannot run Native Access 2.

(I've sent a request to Native Instruments asking if there is a way to install and run Reaktor 6.5.0 under OSX 10.13.)

Anyway, here is an Ensemble showing the not-working Delay Core Cell.

I included a Primary Delay Module to show that everything else is working, and I also added a rudimentary sequencer + synthesizer combo so that the Ensemble can be tested on its own.

Thank you again for your time !

• thomas grey
    Options

...One thing I forgot to say in the previous message :

i included a "Delay Compensation" system that I use all time for keeping the Delay in sync when I send the signal of a Reaktor synth to external hardware equipment and then bring it back to apply the Echo effect.

• colB
    edited July 2023
    Options

You have the outputs on the core delay modules set to event mode (orange indicators). They need to be set to audio mode (white indicators)!

• colB
    Options

ALso, better to have all the feedback etc inside the core cell, otherwise the implicit feedback may contain single samples that will not be cleared, and could leave clicks in your delay after hitting the 'clear' button. That's something that can be handled fairly easily in core, but not so easily in primary.

• thomas grey
    edited July 2023
    Options

Thank you @colB !

I'm not surprised it was such a basic mistake (signal type), since I had never built anything in Core (and, of course, I'm always doing several things at once these days...).

Regarding the feedback management inside the Core Cell to ensure that all samples are cleared (so as not to cause repeated clicks after using the "clear" button): I'm going to run a few tests, and in parallel I'm looking for your explanation of how the different versions of the factory buffer reset work (in the web.archive.org pages).

So I'll see what I can manage to do, but:

Would you be kind enough to post a snapshot of the inner workings of the "delay reset exemple" Ensemble you shared a few posts earlier (since I can only open Reaktor 6.4.0 files at the moment) ?

• colB
    Options

T knob is shown in pic. Others are range 0..1 step size 0. Button is on=1 and off=0, and set to trigger iirc.

Junatik is just a sound source for testing.

• thomas grey
    Options

Thank you very much for your time @colB.

I'll try to include this in my system and report back.