• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,309 Expert
    Options

“if you can't handle 100 products then don't make 100 products”

PREACH!!!!!

• LostInFoundation
    Options

You are right. It didn’t work…but because they didn’t made the good app they could have made (and probably didn’t cause they are not interested to)

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,298 Guru
    edited June 2023
    Options

Another thought...

Any developer wanting to stay on top of the curve for iPadOS should build these products using Apple Swift.

Could be that NI has abandoned iMachine due to creaky code. Better to chuck and start from scratch using Swift (and Xcode)

Another clue to support this thought: Behringer's X32 iPad app has had some drama recently. Perhaps they too need to make the switch to Swift (Xcode) to keep nimble in this fast-moving arena.

• LostInFoundation
    Options

As I said before, often users have better ideas than the people working there. For a simple reason: they are the ones using the things.

Think about the app: what are some of the weaker points of Maschine?

Limited step sequencer and piano roll interaction (the things Jam was thought for)

And they are things that would work pretty good on a touchscreen.

But…NI doesn’t listen to users. It’s their policy…

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,800 Expert
    edited June 2023
    Options

Why do you think it was targeted at DJ's? All the promo I remember was using it next to Maschine to make beats but my memory might be failing me.

It is designed as standalone controller, not just extension of Maschine. There are all transport buttons and so on. It can be used alone, but not easily. And it was IMHO the problem. People bought just Jam and fought to operate it, later on...

One DJ bought one from me years ago and even paid me for few lessons to use it. And he told me that he heard about Jam from another DJ (not sure if in person or video).

IMHO, Jam should be designed as extension and have small displays above touchstripes and on top of button matrix. Would improve workflow considerably.... And the touch stripes could be a bit longer...

• LostInFoundation
    Options

We are really optimistic people…they just announced iMaschine death and we are here hoping there is a good reason for this that will give us a better product in future ☺️

Yes…really optimistic…or just deluded…

• LostInFoundation
    Options

Oh yeah…Jam was also designed as standalone…

Good old NI…do you imagine the new management doing something like this?

• Kubrak
    Options

NI uses Qt, I guess. If Qt supports iPad well, than maybe.... One day.

And concerning SWIFT.... If it supports Widows well, maintains backward compatibility and so on. And will be maintained at least 15 years.... Than maybe. But who would trust Apple to maintain compatibility or carry certain product at least for 15 years....

• GoKeez
    GoKeez Member Posts: 79 Advisor
    Options

i think there would still be some interest in Apple buying something like maschine/Komplete given they must have been developing Logic for iPad for some times and can use the added sounds/instruments/expansions and dedicated HW.. It would pretty much be an Ableton killer or they just buy them too. They can certainly buy all of them and not miss the money.

A port of (Logic for ipad) complexity along with other recent moves (AUv3) shows they are serious about Pro software on iPad while also erasing the line between desktop and iOS. All the big names from Fab Filter to Korg and Roland are already present as well.

VR is definitely a major focus but it would also just be another place and way to make music as their VR offering has a game changing OS itself which is why they’re gonna crush competitors who need to plug into a users current PC.

Apple always smashes their competition with ECOSYSTEM. That has and will remain the killer feature. Windows nor anyone else can ever catch up to that. Too many Apple devices in user hands with $100s invested in apps that run everything from businesses to house hold task to period calendars for women. No one is switching because another company comes up with a new device. Ask Samsung lmao.

While Android, PC, others market specs and processors…Apple will remain Apple because of how everything works together AND the fact they have an App Store where anybody can afford to learn how to make an app and earn money. They sit back watch people innovate then buy the app or hire innovative Dev. Those who are familiar with music production apps recognize the new Sampler plug-in in Logic was a popular app prior to apple hiring the dev. They do that often. The new weather app on all apple devices is Dark Sky which used to be an indie app. The list goes on.

They can afford to do the same with whatever is left of NI. It would just make Logic that much better to have class compliant hardware already made to control it and a whole gang of new instruments, sounds, and they can sew up the pro DJ market while at it. Most of these people use Macs anyway.

A man can wish. In the meantime, just sad to see such a promising and well loved company go the way NI has. Tragic is probably a better word.

• Kubrak
    Options

But NI is not just Mac/iPad.... That is just part of their customer base. And the other part is not interested in Apple manners in the least.... But yes, Apple would be able to buy NI...

• basehead617
    basehead617 Member Posts: 132 Advisor
    edited June 2023
    Options

I know this is an annoying as hell comment, but I didn't know anybody used iMaschine... I've never once heard anyone mention using it in my life

• LostInFoundation
    Options

Not an annoying comment. Just limited to your experience. Is enough to check the iMaschine threads here in the forum

• Kubrak
    Options

It may mean, that only few people have used it. To be financially profitable several times more people would have to use iMaschine comparing to Maschine 2. ;-) Or at least bring new customers to NI other products.

It probably did not happen... And I guess similar with "iTraktor"... Would be nonsence to go on just to please few fans. I guess, it is understandable....

Maschine 2 might use few hundreds thousands of active users, how many active users iMaschine might have?

I understand, it is cool to have Maschine or Traktor on "tablet". Maybe that one day Apple unifies OS for iPad and Mac and it will be no problem .... If MS is able to do it, Apple should be able to do it even better.... If thay wanted....

Till than, it must be profitable to support third platform.... Otherwise not much hope for NI applications on iPad....

We may argue NI did it wrong way and now there is different time, and so on. Probably only NI knows, what were the sales and other profits (from bringing new customers to NI). If it has worked well, I guess, they would have developpe applications like mad, and so on.... Most probably, it did not work that way....

• Maciej Repetowski
    Maciej Repetowski Member Posts: 429 Guru
    Options

It was a business decision, sure enough. And I respect that.

This should have been communicated better, however (always that problem with NI).

Announce deprecation of software in advance, set cutoff date, allow people to export their projects and so on.

Instead, we’ve got this “we removed it temporarily for compatibility reasons” ruse.