Midi Learn to Mute External Synth

Mike Nott
Mike Nott Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

I use a Morningstar MC6 with cc commands to mute sounds/groups with on my Maschine+

I do this via Midi Learn on each Output Level after routing each to a separate group.

However this does not work when sending midi out to external synths, only with internally generated sounds/instruments/samples.

Is there any other way to mute or disable the midi sounds/tracks to stop the midi being sent to external synths.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• darkwaves
    darkwaves Member Posts: 337 Guru
    Answer ✓

If I were doing this, I'd probably want to control the volume of the synth. For example; assume I have a pattern going out to my MODX and I want the MODX to stop sending audio. I'd ue the volume knob on the MODX. I'm guessing I could access it via a CC (I've never tried). I could also just mute the sound slot that is sending midi out of maschine, but I don't think that's accessible via midi cc.

I assume you're monitoring through some kind of mixer or audio interface as opposed to routing them back into maschine. Using maschine as your mixer would work as well. If we ever get an update where the inputs of the audio interface I use with M+ become reliable; I"m going to monitor everything through maschine and use it as the mixer.

Answers

• darkwaves
    darkwaves Member Posts: 337 Guru
    Answer ✓

If I were doing this, I'd probably want to control the volume of the synth. For example; assume I have a pattern going out to my MODX and I want the MODX to stop sending audio. I'd ue the volume knob on the MODX. I'm guessing I could access it via a CC (I've never tried). I could also just mute the sound slot that is sending midi out of maschine, but I don't think that's accessible via midi cc.

I assume you're monitoring through some kind of mixer or audio interface as opposed to routing them back into maschine. Using maschine as your mixer would work as well. If we ever get an update where the inputs of the audio interface I use with M+ become reliable; I"m going to monitor everything through maschine and use it as the mixer.

• Mike Nott
    Mike Nott Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

Thanks Darkwaves, that's a great idea that I didn't even consider - ignore Maschine and just send midi to the external synths to mute/control the volume directly.

Some are vintage, so I'll need to dig into the midi implementation, but hopefully can be done.

And yes, I do use an external mixer and interface for recording and monitoring through.