Why can't I map Playbox across the whole keyboard?

Options
Kymeia
Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,738 mod

I like the sounds I can get from this but it's annoying it only seems to be mapped to a few keys. I want to play it with my whole keyboard, how can I do this?

Comments

• Paule
    Paule Member Posts: 1,328 Expert
    Options

Stephen, if there are some samples side-by-side only and you press +2 octave, there is a mickey mouse effekt. Same to -2 octaves as an old low and slow voice.

• Kymeia
    edited June 2023
    Options

Thanks yeah I know that but that makes sense for things like Violins and Cellos that need to only have a limited range for realism but not Playbox - the problem is that bit doesn't just have a limited range it's also only mapped to a few white keys - I really don't see the point of this if it can generate great sounds but I can't actually play them?

• Kymeia
    Options

Tiny little range, no black keys, why?

• Kymeia
    edited June 2023
    Options

So is anyone actually using this? It seems to have some rave reviews as 'groundbreaking' but apart from being fun to play with for a while (although I find after a while it all sounds a bit samey) it would be nice to be able to actually play it too. I really can't see how it is meant to be used musically.

• Monochrome
    Monochrome Member Posts: 1,132 Expert
    edited June 2023
    Options

I don't think it was meant to be played like a normal instrument. Its purpose is to create your own custom chords that you can then trigger with any of the 8 keyswitches.

Check this thread:

Specifically: Nadine's reply.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,287 Expert
    Options

Yes. This is how it was thought. It’s not properly an “instrument”, more of a “chords builder” with a lot of variations (chords themselves, samples that compose the chords,…)

‘I think if you want to play the chords on a different octave, you have to change them in the chords tab, but once you do it, only those 8 keys are playable. It is completely a different paradigm than normal instruments.

Maybe this video can help you understand better what it is all about:

• Kymeia
    edited June 2023
    Options

Thanks - so at least they do recognise that is a valid use case but I don't see why they left it out in the first place. It looks like the developers were more coming at it from a design perspective rather than thinking how musicians would want to use it, otherwise I can't explain why they would not have thought 'this is a bad idea' to not enable a melodic mode from the start

• Kymeia
    edited June 2023
    Options

Yeah I watched a few videos to try and get it but it seems most of these like to make music out of building blocks - I prefer to use my keyboard and make my own chords and progressions, I just want to have access to the sounds it creates because it can make some nice sounds but I hate using construction kits.

• LostInFoundation
    Options

I can agree with you. But we know NI…what they think is the right thing, can’t be questioned too much…

Probably this product is not for you therefore

• Kymeia
    edited June 2023
    Options

Well it's fun to play with even if I can't actually make music with it :)

Got it as part of Komplete anyway - it was not something I would have chosen to buy

Might try the sample import thing though as the included sample set sounds a bit repetitive after a while

I actually still have Kai's Power Tools on my old Win 7 laptop - they are equally fun visually but also much more useful to me

• LostInFoundation
    Options

It sounds like a fun instrument. Do you have any video to suggest me to watch to understand it? I could be interested (even because I just decided after a Jeremy_NI answer that I will probably never buy anything from NI anymore, included the update for my K13UCE, so I won’t have Playbox, which was practically the only thing I was interested to)

• Kymeia
    Options

I just searched YouTube basically - none particularly stood out