Creating Banks, image, dist, for non NKS 3rd Party VSTs without photoshop or preset magician

Joe@83?@'!
Joe@83?@'! Member Posts: 5 Newcomer

I bought a NKS pack for Spire. I have a lot of 3rd party sounds I want to add to the NKS pack. I can add them but I can't get it into a subfolder for Example "factory" "2080 future pop" "Trap Hard" none of these are real packs but just saying for example that's what Im trying to do. In some of my other non NKS vsts I have a sub folder because I used Preset Magicain which worked for the vsts supported but not all are supported such as Spire and Cube which are to two I am working on now. Cube I can't get the image or dist files correct to read into Komplete Kontrol and Spire I can't make seperate banks for each third party pack I have. I wish Native instruments would do something like their Creator Tools except for Komplete Kontrol I spent two full weeks not creating anything trying to get this worked once it's done it's going to be great but the process getting there is a climb to say the least. Thank you for your time and response in advance.

Best Answer

• Kymeia
    Kymeia Member Posts: 3,605 Expert
    edited May 2023 Answer ✓

You can use any image editor to create the thumbnails- most of the time I just use Mac Preview to crop and resize images. The database files are just edited in a standard txt editor. The details are in the file ‘Creating NKS templates’ in the root of the NKS user library

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hpb5s3g52kjyeil/Creating%20NKS%20templates.txt?dl=0

For Spire since the template is already created you don’t need to mess with that stuff anyway - all you need is to save the presets as NKS files. As you’ve surmised the hardest part is creating the bank name as NI do not make that available in Komplete Kontrol. There are a few hacks people here use, the easiest is to take an existing NKS with a bank name and edit the bank name field using a hex editor then use the edited NKS as your template to save the rest of the bank.

NI do have the equivalent of creator tools for NKS authoring btw but they only release them to NKS partners as part of the NKS SDK. For a long time I’ve been arguing NKS authoring needs to be available to users too but most of it we had to figure out for ourselves (which is what I started this thread for years ago on the original NI forum)

Answers

• Joe@83?@'!
    Joe@83?@'! Member Posts: 5 Newcomer

I'm sure this has been discussed a hundred times been trying to dig through 1.3k discussions so anybody has a thread to direct me to that would be apprecited as well thank you

• Kymeia
    Kymeia Member Posts: 3,605 Expert
    edited May 2023 Answer ✓

You can use any image editor to create the thumbnails- most of the time I just use Mac Preview to crop and resize images. The database files are just edited in a standard txt editor. The details are in the file ‘Creating NKS templates’ in the root of the NKS user library

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hpb5s3g52kjyeil/Creating%20NKS%20templates.txt?dl=0

For Spire since the template is already created you don’t need to mess with that stuff anyway - all you need is to save the presets as NKS files. As you’ve surmised the hardest part is creating the bank name as NI do not make that available in Komplete Kontrol. There are a few hacks people here use, the easiest is to take an existing NKS with a bank name and edit the bank name field using a hex editor then use the edited NKS as your template to save the rest of the bank.

NI do have the equivalent of creator tools for NKS authoring btw but they only release them to NKS partners as part of the NKS SDK. For a long time I’ve been arguing NKS authoring needs to be available to users too but most of it we had to figure out for ourselves (which is what I started this thread for years ago on the original NI forum)