danny tenaglia's traktor dj setup

DALA FLAT
DALA FLAT Member Posts: 4 Newcomer

hello, i'm planning to upgrade my dj setup. i still use and LOVE traktor kontrol s4 mk1, and am looking using something like danny tenaglia uses. what is his setup, and how does he dj on it?

thank you

Best Answers

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,330 Expert
    Answer ✓

A used s4 mk3 is about 650 EUR where I'm from. Sometimes cheaper.

You could go with a used S3, which is about ~300 - 400 EUR. You can then add F1 or xone K2 for better fx control.

If you want something similar to danny tenaglia, you could try to get a used Xone 43c mixer and add two F1. But that will probably be around ~900'ish EUR even when bought used.

Why do you want to switch away from your S4 mk1?

• DALA FLAT
    Answer ✓

hey thanks for the recommendations.

i use a mac and the kontrol s4, won't work on an os beyond el capitan. if i could find a way for it to work on a more recent mac os, then i'll happily stay with what is working for me.

do you perhaps know a way around this? and this is my apprehension with going the kontrol s4 route again - soon ni will just stop support for it, and it will become a grand ornament...

thank you for the great advice!

Answers

• lord-carlos

Why do you want his setup, if you don't know what he uses and how he djes on it?

Here is an breakdown of his old setup: https://djtechtools.com/2015/05/21/artist-gear-setup-danny-tenaglia/

Here from 2022 he still uses 2x F1 and a V10 mixer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joe0JyY-xBc

And seems to click a lot with his mouse.

• DALA FLAT

thanks lord-carlos, i'm just looking around for a nice and simple system. i cannot afford the kontrol s4 mk3 and to be honest, am still pissed off that ni discontinued the kontrol s4mk1. it works beautifully, for what i do and is very stable...

what would you recommend i upgrade to?

• lord-carlos
    Answer ✓

A used s4 mk3 is about 650 EUR where I'm from. Sometimes cheaper.

You could go with a used S3, which is about ~300 - 400 EUR. You can then add F1 or xone K2 for better fx control.

If you want something similar to danny tenaglia, you could try to get a used Xone 43c mixer and add two F1. But that will probably be around ~900'ish EUR even when bought used.

Why do you want to switch away from your S4 mk1?

• DALA FLAT
    Answer ✓

hey thanks for the recommendations.

i use a mac and the kontrol s4, won't work on an os beyond el capitan. if i could find a way for it to work on a more recent mac os, then i'll happily stay with what is working for me.

do you perhaps know a way around this? and this is my apprehension with going the kontrol s4 route again - soon ni will just stop support for it, and it will become a grand ornament...

thank you for the great advice!

• lord-carlos

Yeah, sorry. I don't own a mac. You could try to get a cheap second hand laptop with windows just for DJing.

For 300 - 400 EUR you might also get an s4 mk2

• DALA FLAT

hello again and thanks. when i first purchased my s4 mk1, over 10 years ago, i had a windows pc, but it was not very stable. maybe i should try to get another windows pc, that can run my s4 mk1...

what spec pc and os do you recommend, that works with traktor well?

i really appreciate your advice and thank you again!!