Can I plug my S2 MK3 to a 110 outlet? Do I need to change power adaptor?

Dexter
Dexter Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

Taking my S2 MK3 to the Philippines. Power outlets there are rated 110 volts. Can I plug in directly or do I need to change power adaptors with same output voltage of 15 volts at 2 amps?

Best Answer

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,594 Expert
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

Won't fry anything if you are from a country using 220/240v and you connect to 110v, it simply wouldn't work if it was not dual voltage. Obviously the other way around is an issue, I hhave a Mackie mixer from the states that has a crippled 110v input and it is not dual voltage so I have to use a step down transformer.

Almost all power packs for products sold globally are dual voltage switchmode power supplies meaning they will operate with a range of voltage/freq in, and regulate to the same voltage out using solid state switching rather than a transformer. Fixed voltage transformer styled plug packs are rather heavy compared to switch modes which feel like almost nothing is inside.

On the back of the plug pack is usually a spec plate that should tell you what it is capable of:

That is the plugpack for my Maschine Studio which I am pretty sure is the same plugpack for all NI gear, as you can see it is rated for input of 100-240v AC / 50/60Hz and outputs at 15v DC 1.2 Amp, so supports all electrical systems. Your P/S should have the same plate to just confirm but pretty sure all P/S supplied with NI products are multi-voltage capable like most things on the planet these days.

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,283 Expert

Can’t find a definitive answer. Being it a serious matter (wrong answer would fry your S2), I suggest you to ask for an official answer from NI support

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,594 Expert
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

Won't fry anything if you are from a country using 220/240v and you connect to 110v, it simply wouldn't work if it was not dual voltage. Obviously the other way around is an issue, I hhave a Mackie mixer from the states that has a crippled 110v input and it is not dual voltage so I have to use a step down transformer.

Almost all power packs for products sold globally are dual voltage switchmode power supplies meaning they will operate with a range of voltage/freq in, and regulate to the same voltage out using solid state switching rather than a transformer. Fixed voltage transformer styled plug packs are rather heavy compared to switch modes which feel like almost nothing is inside.

On the back of the plug pack is usually a spec plate that should tell you what it is capable of:

That is the plugpack for my Maschine Studio which I am pretty sure is the same plugpack for all NI gear, as you can see it is rated for input of 100-240v AC / 50/60Hz and outputs at 15v DC 1.2 Amp, so supports all electrical systems. Your P/S should have the same plate to just confirm but pretty sure all P/S supplied with NI products are multi-voltage capable like most things on the planet these days.