Refurbed Maschine mk2 won't fire up (controller, specifically; no problems with software)

elevensbest
elevensbest Member Posts: 5 Newcomer

Hello Kind-Hearted Soul,

Though I've used ProTools for years, I am new to Maschine. When I plug the controller into my quite old MacBook Pro (operating with High Sierra 10.13.6 using an Intel 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo) and going to the "Controller" heading in the software, all of my options are greyed out and the hardware will only display the screensavers--no functionality.

I am not the most tech-savvy person on the planet and my efforts--checking compatibility, updating drivers, updating software and you name--it hasn't helped at all.

I am eager to start creating and any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated!!!

Tim, Portland, OR, USA

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,194 Expert
    edited April 2023

Do you mean it shows the Maschine Logo on the left screen and “Start Maschine software” on the right one even when the Maschine software is open?

• LostInFoundation
    edited April 2023

If this is the case, it means the hardware did fire up, but it’s not communicating with the software.

How did you plug it in the computer? Through an usb Hub?

First thing I would test is to plug it in directly into an usb port ON the computer.

• elevensbest

Dear LostInFoundation,

Really appreciate your reply.

Not quite. The screens read (L to R): “Maschine” and “Groove Production Studio.”

Cable is plugged directly into laptop’s usb.

Tim

• NativeAmerican
    NativeAmerican Member Posts: 43 Member
    edited April 2023

Sometimes it can be as simple as trying a different USB port. I had that issue with a pair of headphones that would not work. I am pretty sure I had issues with sound coming from the Software as well with the headphones, but it would fix if I unplugged and plugged back in the headphones. I would use the eject function on your computer to unplug the controller though to be safe. The headphones I was using was USB connected. It could be the cord is damaged as well.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,299 mod

@elevensbest Is the controller working if you open Maschine in standalone? If it's not, try these steps: My MASCHINE Controller Does Not Start

If it's only an issue when in ProTools, there was a known issue with the FB360 plug-ins and here is the fix:

Please go to the following location:

Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-ins/

Remove every FB360 plug-in from the folder:

Once those plug-ins have been removed from the Plug-ins folder. Restart your computer. 

• elevensbest

Jeremy: Not running Maschine in PT. Controller is usb’d straight into the MacBook and software is operating perfectly. Thanks for the link!

NativeAmerican: have tried both of the usb ports on the Mac with the same results. I have NEVER used the eject function, however, and will give that a go. Thanks!

• LostInFoundation
    edited April 2023

To make further checks: is your MK2 seen in Controller Editor?

If you push shift + Channel/Midi buttons, does it enter Midi Mode?

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓

@elevensbest If the device is not recognised by the Maschine software, follow these steps: My MASCHINE Controller Does Not Start

Definitive test would be to check if the device is working on another computer. If it doesn't it is definitely a hardware issue and you should get in touch with our Hardware Department here: https://bit.ly/NISupport_Hardware

• elevensbest

Jeremy,

Appreciate the support. I’ll get ‘er figured out sooner or later! If needed, is there any way to get some real time support on the phone? Tim

• Jeremy_NI

@elevensbest In some cases, where it's absolutely needed, our agents would setup a call/remote assistance session.

• elevensbest

Fantastic ! Have placed an ad on craigslist for some local assistance as an additional step.