Is it possible to control two instruments separately in Maschine software with KK and Maschine HW?

chrisg
chrisg Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

A have a Komplete Kontrol A61 and Maschine HW that I'm using in Maschine SW. Is it possible to navigate and play instruments on the KK independently from what you're doing on the Maschine? Eg. so you can play and record drums and keyboard at the same time

Best Answer

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,198 Expert
    Answer ✓

I think what the op is asking is to have the 2 hardwares focusing different groups.

This is a long time request that NI doesn’t seem to like.

So I’m afraid the answer is “no, it is not possible”

Answers

• Peter Harris
    Peter Harris Member Posts: 470 Pro

In some ways.

For example you can have the mixer view on my S-series keyboard screens while using the Ideas view on the Maschine hardware screens. Not sure with the A-series with the smaller display window but I think so. I think you could open Massive through your A61 keyboard and be tweaking the macro knobs while at the same time being in the Events view on the MK3. What happens when you try it?

But what will not work in my experience is when the screens you want to open on the keyboard and the hardware are in different conflicting modes, i.e I can't open Keyboard mode on my M+ and Chords mode on my KK S49 because those modes are mutually exclusive. Does that make any sense and conform to other people's experiences?

• chrisg
    chrisg Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

It seems to just change the input of both the Maschine and KK when you change the focus on either device (via 4d knob or other), so they both follow each other.

One thing I wanted to make sure I was doing right: the KK has all the browser, knobs, transport, etc functionality right away when I plug it in, but it seems like for the keys to do anything you need to check of the A61 MIDI input in settings. Is that the correct way to get the keys to play or am I missing something?

• LostInFoundation
    Answer ✓

I think what the op is asking is to have the 2 hardwares focusing different groups.

This is a long time request that NI doesn’t seem to like.

So I’m afraid the answer is “no, it is not possible”

• LostInFoundation
    edited April 2023

The only way you can achieve something similar (if I’m correct) is by assigning the midi input of a specific group to a specific hardware. But this will allow just to play THAT instrument, but not switching to any other