Mixing music, let's exchange techniques.

Options
Studiowaves
Studiowaves Member Posts: 453 Advisor

Have to admit, there's a lot more to it than ever imagined. I like the idea of using a manikin to hold microphones in the ears. Did that one time and yeah, it turned out pretty good.

Tagged:

Comments

• 1neflame
    1neflame Member Posts: 10 Member
    Options

I use FL and Maschine together and its a powerhouse.

Also if you don't have a mic and want to record or can't record because of roomates, noise in your house, etc.

Use an app called: Dolby on in the app stores google play or apple.

Record anywhere and then drag your wave file into your daw and mix from there

• Studiowaves
    Options

Oh that's pretty neat. but what's special about Dolby? Never used machine, but have seen Fruity Loops years ago. What does machine do?

• Studiowaves
    Options

Anyone familiar with the fletcher munson curve. This is more inline with what type of topics I'd like to discuss. Not really about hardware used but this kind of stuff. Like the Masking Effect, etc.

• 1neflame
    1neflame Member Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Dolby on is this cool app that you can get on your phone iphone, android.

It will mimic the same tech as an actual studio mic - desser, effects, etc.

Maschine is the groove and beat machine from native instruments!

• Milos
    Milos Member Posts: 1,922 Guru
    Options

I have a great tip for faster mixing.

Use the compression or dynamics plugin for the master chain (KiloHearts Dynamics or st supercharger).

Make sure you use the mix or dry/wet settings within the plugins.

That way you can hear raw and edited signal.

No need to thank me, good sir!

• Studiowaves
    Options

I think Dolby Atmos is pretty cool. It somehow fools your hearing into thinking sounds are coming from above you. I have a 7.1 surround sound speaker system made out of those cheapo studio monitors. It's really nice for personal satisfaction but the atmos somehow simulates it with headphones. But I've never found anything to try it with, not yet anyway.

• Studiowaves
    Options

Nah, dynamics are a big part of music. You put a compressor on the master channel and it makes it hard to blend in new parts. It's ok to compress a final mix if it's to be played in a noisy environment. Most radio stations do that but not so much with classical music as most listeners are in a quiet location. Pop music on the other hand is a totally different story, most recordings are highly compressed to keep the energy levels up. Party music. lol

• Milos
    Milos Member Posts: 1,922 Guru
    Options

Hmm...you have a good point there...mayne you can just put the compression on master fx rack.

• ArtBerkeley
    ArtBerkeley Member Posts: 42 Member
    Options

I picked up a technique recently where you put a high and low EQ cut on the master FX track to isolate the mids so you can mix them until they're not muddy without the distraction of the bass and treble. Been pretty helpful for me so far!

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,203 mod
    Options

My best advice for mixing is if you don't have this book, stop what you're doing and go buy it!!

Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio (Sound On Sound Presents...): Amazon.co.uk: Senior, Mike: 9781138556362: Books

Nothing to do with me, the guy just has the same first name 😊

-- Mike

• Studiowaves
    Options

Good idea really, after blending the mids of each track the listening area becomes more apparent and not all muddied up by excess bass. You probably find your self rolling the bass off on the bass instruments after you switch off the master EQ.

• Studiowaves
    Options

Probably a good book. Years ago I read a book something like it. They recommended having the microphone in front of the best singers in a choir. lol Another book said we can't hear the difference until there's a 3 db change in volume. lol

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,203 mod
    Options

Yep, definitely the best way to mic a whole choir 🤣

• Studiowaves
    Options

They also said you can bring the best singer up in front a little bit closer to the mic so the choir has better word definitions. That actually makes sense.

• Studiowaves
    Options

It's probably best to use a compressor on each track so you can adjust the db spread of the instrument. Typically a singer has to sing louder to get the high notes. Just an example there but in the final mix it can stick out like a soar thumb. Some producers want the voice to stick out and compress the vocalists dynamic range quite a bit, then they raise to volume a bit. This really applies to most instruments if the musician play overly dynamic. So are better at it than others so a little compression can compensate for that. So basically the end result is music with a certain dynamic range. Your job as a studio engineer is too balance the dynamics of each instrument independently so their dynamics are properly balanced in the mix. I try to mix things so you can pay attention to each individual instrument in the final mix. It's not always necessary to do that but most things I do just horsing around turn out pretty good. Now if I can only figure out how to play these instruments. lol