Kontakt 7 & light guide

Options
2»

Comments

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 973 Guru
    Options

"Well, I hope that through a Kontakt update and/or a new firmware for my KK S88 MK2, Native Instruments could implement it as well to old devices, because the light guide is basically the main reason why I opted for this keyboard."

It was already communicated in the "Ask Me Anything - Kontrol S-Series MKIII" thread that we (MKII) users will not be getting this feature (Kontakt Light Guide) or any of the other new stuff for our MKII boards.

The reasons for this were well documented in that thread - mainly due to the tech used in the MKIII series is vastly different and allows for many new integration aspects that were simply not a reality when our MKII boards were built.

We will however be getting the new Komplete Kontrol v3 software - which should bring a few things to the table for us.

Me - I continue to use Kontakt within Komplete Kontrol and the light guide is always ready to go. I rarely (if ever) use Kontakt standalone anymore.

VP

• TomSynsongs
    TomSynsongs Member Posts: 42 Member
    Options

The Komplete Kontrol plugin hosts Kontakt, which sends the light guide info to KK and then to the MK2 keyboard. Giving the impression that the same cannot be done in Kontakt alone due to "technical reasons" does not sound convincing at all.

To me it seems like a deliberate decision to sell the MK3 keyboards with a hefty price increase - and that´s of course fine from a companies perspective.

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 973 Guru
    Options

@TomSynsongs

"The Komplete Kontrol plugin hosts Kontakt, which sends the light guide info to KK and then to the MK2 keyboard. Giving the impression that the same cannot be done in Kontakt alone due to "technical reasons" does not sound convincing at all."

Tom

Not disagreeing with you at all. But it is what it is.

VP

• nobadmojo
    nobadmojo Member Posts: 100 Helper
    Options

I agree

And on the flip side NI doesnt seem to think that having an on screen keyboard like in Kontakt would be useful in Komplete Kontrol...you know..for the millions of keyboards out there with no light guide

• TomSynsongs
    TomSynsongs Member Posts: 42 Member
    Options

Hey VP,

yep you are right, that´s how it is. Which is why I have taken my money and bought an MK3 keyboard so that I could at least benefit from the Kontakt integration.

Sadly, it did not go well.

The mandatory firmware updater was not responding at first, asking me to reboot and then got stuck telling me to power-cycle all devices. As a result the keyboard now comes up with a white screen and does not respond anymore.

Cheers

Tom