A year+ issue with Fourtechre and audio glitches, hoping for a kind soul to help out!

Options
kristianalexander
kristianalexander Member Posts: 5 Newcomer

Hi All!

I have always just used others ensemble in Reaktor and been loving it for many years, but there are a few ensembles I just can’t go get working correctly for my needs

So I have recently in this last year begun opening up the structures of the ensembles and messing with them myself. I have succeeded many times so far, but this one I just can’t get working for me. I am experiencing glitches with the fourtechre mk ii ensemble only with some of the voices. I have read up on even smoothers and found where the smoother was located in this ensemble, but it doesn’t affect the sound nor the glitches, only the main volume of the instrument. I have tried copying in several smoothers that works from other ensembles that I love (Mirage, Loupe, C&S Random etc), but with no luck. No matter were I connect those smoothers I still hear the glitches. I found out by default that the attack knob of the first “scene” wasn’t connect, but connecting it correctly only made the attack longer - But I still hear the glitches !!!!

This has been bugging me for a year + now, so really hope someone can help me out on what to do to not hear those glitches / noises clicks. It's the same issue with the Repexter ensemble. I am on a powerful new MacBook Pro M1 32 gb with the buffer size all the way up so that can’t be the issue.

Can someone here be so kind to guide me? I attached a couple of screenshots showcasing the issue, if you are not familiar with Fourtechre.

Fingers crossed,

/Kristian

Comments

• KoaN
    KoaN Member Posts: 105 Advisor
    Options

You need to be more specific about those glitches,when do they happen? What kind of glitches? Randomly on the audio or when you move a knob or do something? You say it only happens on some voices...presets? And the pics you showed don't help much if you say you made a change and nothing changed,the source of the glitch is not there.

• kristianalexander
    kristianalexander Member Posts: 5 Newcomer
    Options

Hi, apologies for the super slow reply. Still the same problem.

I can't post any audio or links unfortunately but the glitches sound digital and exactly when you don't smooth the grains in other granular ensembles. They don't vary in sound but sometimes they are there and sometimes not, with the same settings using the same sample but playing from a different start point. I tried on various computers and other friend's reaktors it's THE SAME. Normally smooth would take care of this or raising the attack time, but none of this works and as stated in my first message i tried looking into the architecture but have no clue how to fix it. Other ensemble I got can fix it by smoothing the grains but doesn't work here!!!

Could some geek / expert please aid me - I love this ensemble but find it unusable over half the time :(

Fingers crossed!!!!

• KoaN
    Options

But all that you are saying is that you are hearing glitches and you have no idea from where.

Nobody can help if your description is too generic,you say at your friend's place it's the same so it is within the instrument and probably made like that,plus it is an instrument to create glitches and crazy stuff.

You have to be more specific,share the ensemble here or say which preset does this so people can test and hear themselves and see why it is there.

My guess is it is not a bug but the instrument being like this,it is made for glitchy stuff,it cuts up samples very drastically and rearrange them.

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,360 mod
    edited November 2023
    Options

Quick question, since i don't use this ensemble: Is it sample based?

If the answer is yes, then probably the samples are not made correctly and have those glitches (usually in the intro or at the end of the sample).

Then i see in your image that it uses 40% of the CPU! This is too much and might create glitches especially if you have a very low latency in your audio card.

A third possibility that might explain this is, that you are using a sample rate of 44.1 KHz however, the samples might be recorded on a higher value (48 or more).

I suggest to do some experiment with all those options.

About the A knob, yes, it should be connected!

Last but not least: FourTechre MK II is an 18 year old plugin... well... 18 years old! I am sure you can find a lot of better similar ensembles in the user library!

• KoaN
    Options

If you try the ensemble it is very glitchy by nature though,nothing subtle at all,inspired by "Autechre" which is a band making very noisy and glitchy stuff and as you said it is 18 years old so things were less refined back then.

The person also said things were the same at some friends place. Anyway just tell us which preset does the glitchy stuff you hear and we can try it,there are like 40 presets.

Which preset does this?

There are also 2 versions in the user library,Fourtechre mk1 and mk2