How do you select a patch via keyboard the Kontrol plugin?

Aqueum
Aqueum Member Posts: 13 Member

Is there a (qwerty) keyboard key you can press to select a patch to trial in Logic and other DAWs - the equivalent of pressing the 4-D encoder?

Best Answers

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,967 mod
    Answer ✓

Hello,

only if you are already in the list you can go up/down with arrow keys.

• Uwe303
    Answer ✓

if you have no kk keyboard select you see a "midi" on top right click it and you can midi learn to go through presets and stuff. I guess you are on mac so i don´t know how to translate a keystroke to midi but if you search for it i´m sure you´ll find something, i will also have a look if i have a bit more time tomorrow.

• Aqueum
    Answer ✓

For anyone finding this thread and wanting to do the same, this may not be the optimal solution (I've only just got it working) but it may save you an hour or so of trial and error with Bome. Bome has a nice unlimited 20 minutes free trial, so it's probably worth trying - thanks to @Uwe303 for finding Bome, there may be some more affordable options out there (I'll add an update if I find any, please also post if you do) but it at least it proves @Uwe303 correct...

Install the Bome MIDI Translator Pro trial (https://www.bome.com/products/miditranslator) add a new preset, then add a translator:

Here's the full translator input to get the ']' key to give a CC 111:

The thing that slowed me down most was that it doesn't work out of the box with Project/Preset default ports, but if you select one (possibly after setting up in settings*), it seems to work fine. If you see the Midi Out light up in the Event Monitor you should be OK.

You can then copy and edit to get the '[' key to give a CC 112:

And finally, as @Uwe303 suggested, you can easily set your Komplete plugin to learn MIDI CC 111 & 112 as the up/down presets which take you all the way into the presets without needing any further keys or clicks:

• Aqueum
    Answer ✓

And for anyone using Logic like me, I've worked out a way to do this purely with Logic's built in capability. It sacrifices the Musical Typing keys that would otherwise set modulation to 43% and 77%, but you still have the 0%, 25%, 60% and 100% keys, which are probably enough for auditioning presets:

1. Set up a New Software Instrument Track with Komplete
    2. Click MIDI FX in that channel
    3. Select Scripter
    4. Add a script somewhat similar to the one below (or use it at your own risk, but I'm sure it could be greatly improved)
    5. Once you're sure the script isn't going to cause you any problems, hit 'Run Script'
    6. ⌘K to launch Musical Keys then press a few keys to check it's working
    7. Open the Komplete plugin
    8. Click MIDI then Buttons, then click presets up and press 5, click presets down and press 7 which should set them to CC 111 and CC 112 respectively (see below)
    9. Now you can launch new presets by pressing 7 to go down or 5 to go up & play them with ASDF, etc.

var cc121 = new ControlChange;

cc121.number = 121;

cc121.value = 127;

var cc122 = new ControlChange;

cc122.number = 122;

cc122.value = 127;

function HandleMIDI(event) {

if (event.value == 54 && event.number == 1) {

cc121.send();

} else if (event.value == 98 && event.number == 1) {

cc122.send();

} else {

event.send();

}

}

Answers

• Uwe303
    Answer ✓

Hello,

only if you are already in the list you can go up/down with arrow keys.

• Aqueum

Thanks @Uwe303 - I'm already going up and down with arrow keys, which helpfully plays a preview, but from there I want to go in and play a few notes with Logic's Musical Typing, but I need to take my hands off the keyboard to click into the patch.

• Uwe303

Yep that´s the way it is, unfortunately, there is no way, as far as i know, to do what you want.

• Aqueum

Oh, that's very sad. I have an M32 but like auditioning patches with headphones in bed at night. The M32's key presses are way too loud for that.

• Uwe303

Maybe there is a solution with a key to midi program, where you can have a few keys triggering notes and some others you can learn for browsing presets.

• Aqueum

That's a great idea. Do you have any ideas on how to have the Komplete plugin listen for a midi signal that it would interpret as a 4D encoder press? If so, I'll work out how to get Logic (or failing that, a standalone app) to send that midi signal when I hit something like the "\" key.

• Uwe303
    Answer ✓

if you have no kk keyboard select you see a "midi" on top right click it and you can midi learn to go through presets and stuff. I guess you are on mac so i don´t know how to translate a keystroke to midi but if you search for it i´m sure you´ll find something, i will also have a look if i have a bit more time tomorrow.

• Uwe303

Hello,

i did only found bome´s midi translator, so far. Here you can try it MIDI Translator Pro | Bome Software

• Aqueum

Thanks Roger, I've been trying this with a Korg midi keyboard, but don't the buttons only allow you to scroll through the patches without actually entering any? I can't find a Midi learnable button that takes you into the patch like pressing the 4-D encoder.

• Uwe303
    edited January 2023

With that mapping it loads the sound immediately after you've pressed up or down as far as I remember.

• Aqueum
    Answer ✓

For anyone finding this thread and wanting to do the same, this may not be the optimal solution (I've only just got it working) but it may save you an hour or so of trial and error with Bome. Bome has a nice unlimited 20 minutes free trial, so it's probably worth trying - thanks to @Uwe303 for finding Bome, there may be some more affordable options out there (I'll add an update if I find any, please also post if you do) but it at least it proves @Uwe303 correct...

Install the Bome MIDI Translator Pro trial (https://www.bome.com/products/miditranslator) add a new preset, then add a translator:

Here's the full translator input to get the ']' key to give a CC 111:

The thing that slowed me down most was that it doesn't work out of the box with Project/Preset default ports, but if you select one (possibly after setting up in settings*), it seems to work fine. If you see the Midi Out light up in the Event Monitor you should be OK.

You can then copy and edit to get the '[' key to give a CC 112:

And finally, as @Uwe303 suggested, you can easily set your Komplete plugin to learn MIDI CC 111 & 112 as the up/down presets which take you all the way into the presets without needing any further keys or clicks:

• Uwe303

Thank for posting your solution, maybe i also should get the full version of bones midi translator. You can also go the other route with it and use a midi keyboard to send keys strokes and many more cool things.

• Aqueum

Hi Roger, yes I was thinking it would work well that way, although Logic users like me also have Musical Typing built in (just hit ⌘K to launch)

• Aqueum
    Answer ✓

And for anyone using Logic like me, I've worked out a way to do this purely with Logic's built in capability. It sacrifices the Musical Typing keys that would otherwise set modulation to 43% and 77%, but you still have the 0%, 25%, 60% and 100% keys, which are probably enough for auditioning presets:

1. Set up a New Software Instrument Track with Komplete
    2. Click MIDI FX in that channel
    3. Select Scripter
    4. Add a script somewhat similar to the one below (or use it at your own risk, but I'm sure it could be greatly improved)
    5. Once you're sure the script isn't going to cause you any problems, hit 'Run Script'
    6. ⌘K to launch Musical Keys then press a few keys to check it's working
    7. Open the Komplete plugin
    8. Click MIDI then Buttons, then click presets up and press 5, click presets down and press 7 which should set them to CC 111 and CC 112 respectively (see below)
    9. Now you can launch new presets by pressing 7 to go down or 5 to go up & play them with ASDF, etc.

var cc121 = new ControlChange;

cc121.number = 121;

cc121.value = 127;

var cc122 = new ControlChange;

cc122.number = 122;

cc122.value = 127;

function HandleMIDI(event) {

if (event.value == 54 && event.number == 1) {

cc121.send();

} else if (event.value == 98 && event.number == 1) {

cc122.send();

} else {

event.send();

}

}

• el-bo
    el-bo Member Posts: 35 Member

Thanks for the info provided. but am I right in thinking that none of these solutions addresses the missing 'Click-to-select' functionality of the Komplete Keyboards' jog wheel?