S61 MK3 Kontrol doesn't work in Cubase Pro 12

Options
esimone00
esimone00 Member Posts: 12 Newcomer
edited November 2023 in Komplete Kontrol

Hello,

I just bought a Komplete S61 MK3 midi controller keyboard by Native Instruments and for some reason, only in Cubase, the light guide and play assist doesn’t work. It’s always stuck in midi mode. The whole point of this keyboard is to take advantage of the light guide and play assist features. I have a rather large template with 100’s of tracks and most of them are NKS Komplete Kontrol plugins so this keyboard should work right? I can access the Play Assist in the software but not on the keyboard. I have to turn the keyboard off and then on again for it to work which is obviously insane. I even tried opening up a blank Cubase session and the problem still occurs so this is a Cubase issue right? 

Does Cubase need to update or something in order for this new keyboard to work? Again, this is an NKS keyboard so if I load a Komplete

Kontrol vst, this keyboard should work. I just paid over $800 for this thing, I want it to work in my favorite DAW.

Please see the attached photos. You can see that it’s working fine in Studio One.

Thanks

Best Answer

• esimone00
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks for all of the responses, yes I did all of the above. NI finally responded with the following. I'm so happy it's finally working! and yes it even works in Cubase 12, and now I have 13!

"To fix the Komplete Kontrol “Autofocus” problem in Cubase, proceed as follows: Open the VSTI Komplete Kontrol plug-in window, right-click at the top of this window and select “Remote Control Editor”. Then in this window, click on the small arrow at the top right to select “Use the default configuration” and “Apply” on the button next to it. At this time, “Autofocus” works. Then save the project.

The cause of this problem is when the Komplete Kontrol reference named “NIKBxx” is no longer assigned to the first “Knob” on page 1 in the “Remote Control Editor”.

Conclusion: this is not a bug."

Answers

• esimone00
    Options

Yes, I updated the firmware. It works fine in Studio One and Ableton, just not Cubase.

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,111 mod
    Options

And the DAW integration is set up correctly with midi in and out? Do transport controls work?

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,873 mod
    Options

@esimone00 Have you managed to make it work? I tested to load the same in Cubase 12 on a Mac, everything is working as expected.

Do Cubase and Komplete Kontrol have full disk access? How to Enable Full Disk Access on macOS

Can you check if this service is running when you experience that loss of connection?

• esimone00
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks for all of the responses, yes I did all of the above. NI finally responded with the following. I'm so happy it's finally working! and yes it even works in Cubase 12, and now I have 13!

"To fix the Komplete Kontrol “Autofocus” problem in Cubase, proceed as follows: Open the VSTI Komplete Kontrol plug-in window, right-click at the top of this window and select “Remote Control Editor”. Then in this window, click on the small arrow at the top right to select “Use the default configuration” and “Apply” on the button next to it. At this time, “Autofocus” works. Then save the project.

The cause of this problem is when the Komplete Kontrol reference named “NIKBxx” is no longer assigned to the first “Knob” on page 1 in the “Remote Control Editor”.

Conclusion: this is not a bug."

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,111 mod
    Options

Good to know, I always thought only the first generation of the keyboards needs that in the first page/first knob. But now if I think about it, it makes sense that all keyboards need it cause it's something between cubase and kk.

• Arnaud88
    Arnaud88 Member Posts: 5 Member
    Options

@esimone00

“NI finally responded with the following”??? Really ? 🤔

I especially see a “copy/paste” of what a user published in August 2022 on the Steinberg forum:

//forums.steinberg.net/t/komplet-kontrol-no-kontrol-on-cubase-12/802157/3?u=arnaud88

Thank you all the same for our discussion exchange in said forum! 😉

• esimone00
    Options

@Arnaud88 Cool. Do you think I have time to read every post from every forum? I bought a product, I expect it to work. After attempting to buy the S keyboard twice in the past 2 years, NI never was able to give me a solid answer…Until now. You would think they would be aware of the apparently ongoing situation.

Either way, NI support finally provided value and I’m happy about it. Your passive aggressiveness isn’t needed nor wanted. At this point, it’s rather dumb.