[Giveaway] Share your best tips and win Komplete 15

Comments

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 840 Guru

Here's a few of my "learned lessons" you can use as tips:

Bass Guitar:
    I often switch between using different types of bass guitars depending on the sound I'm after. My two most-used bass libraries are Session Bassist - Prime Bass and Upright Bass. I find it a good idea to use a velocity limiter tool such as Ableton's Velocity Limiter tool in front of the libraries to limit the velocities to avoid fret sounds I don't want. Usually limiting them to around 100 or 99 and slightly increasing the drive parameter to give you a slight convex EQ bump will give a nice rounded sound and still allow you to produce punchy fret sounds if you need them for accents. And don't forget to go to the Amps & FX page and add an amp like the Bass Invader and a cabinet along with adjustments to the Bass EQ to get a very realistic live sound. On the out tab you can adjust the output volume to increase punchiness and on the main tab you can trim the relevant frequencies for the timbre you want your bass to have. And of course save all your settings as a custom preset.

Drums:
    I've got all the various NI Abbey Road drum kits as well as Studio Drummer. Normally I like to use Studio Drummer for the actual track, but I often like to explore different grooves from some of the other libraries and maybe even mix and match them. So I'll start with one track that has Studio Drummer and use a different track to load up different Abbey Road drum kits and explore their grooves. That way I can mix ones form different libraries by just dragging an Abbey Road groove into the track that has my Studio Drummer and see how it works. This gives me a much wider range of potential grooves that what's contained in just one library.

Also don't overlook all the powerful options built into the mixer and options tab. You've got lots of different options for different kicks, snares, hi-hats, toms…etc. Mixing and matching these options can really tailor the sound of your drum kit especially on Studio Drummer. And don't overlook the compressor on things like the snares or crashes to get that really polished feel on your drums along with the velocity and mapping available on the options tab.

Keys:
    You can never have enough options when it comes to keys whether it's pianos, organs or synths. I normally have at least two different keys on most projects whether it's a piano and B3 organ or various synths or pads. Typically only one will be used throughout the song and the other helps in building dynamics during a chorus or bridge. Even some clever noise like raindrops can be useful in establishing a unique feel for a given moment in a song. Even strings, woodwinds, horns and choirs work better if they come in at specific strategic moments rather then throughout the piece.

Performance:
    If you find yourself in a situation where your response time is being impacted due to the number of libraries in use it might be worth your time to make a guick audio track from some of your more heavyweight libraries in the project once you get them stable and use those instead of the MIDI tracks for keeping your response time up while working on other more demanding instrument tracks.

That's all I can think of right now and since it's Sunday and NFL premier week I need to get back to the games…

• chpiatt
    chpiatt Member Posts: 83 Helper

My tip is that there is a way to get user presets to show up as factory presets in Komplete Kontrol that not a lot of people know about:

• AndromedaX8
    AndromedaX8 Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

I figured out how to insert the link, so here it is again.
    Thank you so much again for this amazing opportunity and good luck everyone! :)

• Greg K
    Greg K Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

My tip for the contest can be found here.

I hope this helps someone create a realistic bigger guitar sound in the box.

• higen
    higen Member Posts: 4 Member

Comming from elektron gear, i was very pleased to experience i could use some of my habbits on Maschine

Been doing this since i got my Maschine MK1

Parameter Lock - the elektron way — Community (native-instruments.com)

• michael wilson
    michael wilson Member Posts: 2 Member
    edited September 10
  • GeekDog
    GeekDog Member Posts: 4 Member

I'm looking forward to Komplete 15!

Here's my tip about using Tonal Balance Control for mixing, especially for getting Sub-Bass levels correct:

Mixing with Tonal Balance Control

• Big Business 718
    Big Business 718 Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

If you use Maschine as a plugin in your DAW like me, A hack i use when i want to tune an 808 sample to the Key of C so i can play it across the Keyboard along with my production easier, is to load the 808 sample in Maschine ,arm the track Maschine is on in your DAW, make sure the 808 is playing across your Keyboard controller. Now what i like to do is create another instrument track with kontakt and load a piano patch, arm that track as well so now the kontakt Piano and 808 sample in Maschine are playing at the same time across your Keyboard. Now i just hit the C on my Keyboard repeatedly while turning the pitch/Gate knob on the Maschine controller changing the pitch of the 808 until its playing the same note im pressing on my keyboard.I usually play the higher C notes when i do this because its easier to hear when the 808 is playing the same note in the high register.

• Berlin Zimbo
    Berlin Zimbo Member Posts: 2 Member
    edited September 10
  • westlalas
    westlalas Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
  • LXNDR_BE
    LXNDR_BE Member Posts: 78 Helper
    edited September 9

Very exiting indeed,

here my tip for a better/easier overall MixDown in Maschine, specially for Techno with lot of low frequencies, but can be used in any genre.

• LXNDR_BE
    LXNDR_BE Member Posts: 78 Helper

Because I like sharing, here is another one to get real low subbasslines

• JBMcD
    JBMcD Member Posts: 8 Newcomer

I am using K 14 Collectors Edtion as well as Cubase 13 on a windows platform. My hack, though I am sure I’m not the only one doing this is………..

When I am unable to find the exact sound I am looking for. I often record my part on one track in Cubase then duplicate the same part on another track. Then I change the snapshot/preset using a totally different synth or different sound pack. I wish I was able to layer multiple sound packs in Kontakt 7, maybe in Kontakt 8?

I also use the Dice which are present in several of the knotakt sound packs to randomize the sound of one (or more) of the snapshot/preset.

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/35788/tips/p1?new=1