Maschine Techno MixDown made easy [Tips]

LXNDR_BE
LXNDR_BE Member Posts: 78 Helper

This tip has to do with your project setup to create a complete Track within Maschine. Especially the Kick and Bass.
Group your instruments by Frequency.
So:
- Group A ⇒ all Low Frequencies like Kick, Rumble, Subbass, Low Toms (everything below 150 Hz f.e.) goes to group

• Group B ⇒ Bassline (above 150 Hz)
  • Group C ⇒ Synths (Middrange)
  • Group D ⇒ Percussion
  • Group E ⇒ Riser
  • Group F ⇒ Vocalsamples
  • Group G ⇒ Effekts

You can now mute all other groups and only focus on the internal mixdown within one group with competing frequencies (by using ducking or dynamic EQing …)
Once everything within the groups is MixedDown, add a graphical equalizer (like Neutron or the free TDR Nova) to each Group. This way you now can sculpt the overall mixDown and make room for the other instrumentgroups.

F.e. Your percussion can have a HighPass at f.e. 2k Hz to prevent bleading to the lower frequencies and leave space for your Synths.
OR your Kickgroup can have a Band-EQ lowering the Frequency where your Bassline is at (Go to the Bassline group, look at wich Hz the Peak of your Bassline is, the go back to the EQ of the Lowkickgroup and dip a Band (maybe also dynamically) at the frequency of the bass.

Mud in the mix at around 500-700Hz? No problem anymore, go to each group and look wich of them are in this area, then dip this frequency on every of those groups.

Perfect to create a nice stage for all your instruments. And with graphical EQs this is no more guessing, but seeing where frequencies collide.

Comments

• tribepop
    tribepop Member Posts: 161 Pro

Great tips! I personally use busses for this reason. So I’ll have a “lows” bus that has my drums and bass groups routed into it that has a compressor and EQ to help glue the sounds together better. Each individual group may have a Saturator and EQ on it as well.

• 6xes
    6xes Member Posts: 683 Pro

i was looking at one of bluecat audio's plugins.. it provides a visual representation of the spectrum a particular group might be occupying….

i would gather there might be other free plugins that are able to provide a comparative visual spectrum based on this video….

im waiting for this plugin to drop in price… bit expensive for my liking atm, but this plugin would assist visually, even though one has ears to listen… having this info in a realtime scenario can be invaluable, so pre-listens can be visually compared for how much muddyness is being introduced when another group/sample is brought into the main

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxoK2N9soEo