Kontrol series s mk3 not detected, firmware probleme

Options
Dilando
Dilando Member Posts: 12 Member
edited March 25 in Komplete Kontrol

Q: Translation inserted by Moderator (translation by DeepL)

My mk3 keyboard is not detected on my Mac Studio, I followed all the steps in order, but when I launch the firmware update, my keyboard is not detected... help :(4

Community Code of Conduct - Please read before posting :

Quote : Our community is currently only available in English. Please be advised that we retain the right to remove any posts in languages other than English.

Answers

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 859 mod
    Options

Can you please try connecting the MK3 to a USB-C hub, rather than connecting it directly to your Mac Studio?

• Dilando
    edited March 25
    Options

I try when I get home, but why should it matter?

• Dilando
    edited March 25
    Options

No, that doesn't work either

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 2,822 mod
    Options

Quote : "I followed all the steps in order"

Sorry but that is simply not very informative !

Does everything N.I. have full disk access ? (including but not limited to Native Access, NTKDaemon, and NHHardwareAgent.)

What is the exact S MK3 keyboard model that you have ?

The Hub mentioned by Matthew_NI is supposed to be self-powered and in some cases then it is advisable to also use an USB C PSU capable of PD power delivery, especially if your keyboard is a S88 !

Also , your Mac Studio M1 apparently go an USB A port so try using a quality USB-C to USB-A cable to see if that makes any difference while at the same time using a USB-C PSU on the keyboard power port !! (important for all versions of the S-Series MK3 since the A port is certified to less power than the C port)

• Dilando
    edited March 25
    Options

I tried porting a quality adapter and it still didn't work,

My keyboard is the Kontrol s61 mk3.

Yes, I have full access to the disk,

I don't think it's right that it's so complicated to use even though I've followed the steps, I must admit I'm a bit annoyed knowing that I was in a hurry to use it.

• PoorFellow
    edited March 25
    Options

Please use English in accordance with forum rules ! (e.g. use www.deepl.com ) !

You are absolutely right that it ought not be that difficult to get the keyboard to run !

As I wrote above then if using an adapter C to A then you must use an USB-C PSU ! Did you do that ?

Otherwise then the only things that I could suggest is that you could try reset the Mac hardware preferences for the keyboard ! And then reinstall the hardware service ! (which also require that you use using latest version of the Native Access for your OS or at least NATIVE ACCESS 3.8.0 - some people have had problems of different kind with two latest N.A. versions !) , also you could test the use of a passive Thunderbolt USB-C cable !

This user claims that users should avoid using Mac Studio for updating , but I think that it ought to be possible if one can find the right way !

• Dilando
    edited March 25
    Options

Please use English in accordance with forum rules ! (e.g. use www.deepl.com ) !

I've also tried connecting it with a USB-C PSU, but it makes no difference,

and now that I don't even have access to natives access, I've done the latest mac update "14.4".

When I open natives access I get this message: Products which are incompatible with your system are not shown here.

I'm fed up... really disappointed.

• PoorFellow
    edited March 25
    Options

Try using NATIVE ACCESS 3.8.0 (may require a computer restart) but beware of the auto-update !

Ref. : Issue with Native Access 3.9.1 not displaying anything/any content

Please do NOT keep ignoring requests to adhere to forum rules ! Your future posts could be deleted if you refuse to follow polite requests and post in English !

• Dilando
    Options

I do, but no difference, firmware update can’t scan my Kontrol mk3

• Dilando
    Options

I do, but no difference, firmware update can’t scan my Kontrol mk3

• PoorFellow
    Options

Thank you , sorry , I ought to have been more specific !

The downgrade to version KK 3.8 were meant as an advice in connection to you writing , quote : "When I open natives access I get this message: Products which are incompatible with your system are not shown here." .

I never meant it as a suggestion as a fix for the "firmware update can’t scan my Kontrol mk3" issue .

Also ! , please do not misunderstand me ! You got my full sympathy ! I do not think that it is OK that you are having this kind of issues with firmware upgrading your new keyboard.

But alas , then at this point in time then all I have t give is some links to some earlier post that I made (which I do NOT think will help) , and I can post the NI statements below here also . Otherwise then I think that you will have to contact N.I. hardware support directly ! :

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/comment/141174/#Comment_141174

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/comment/133877/#Comment_133877

In case you need a statement regarding the 'communication breakdown' :

Matthew_NI, Product Team, 3:05 PM , 2024-02-19 ,

To be very clear, and to avoid any one opinion becoming misinformation, I'll re-state what has been said in various places:

As frustrating as this is to you, it is also to us.

This issue is specific to the USB-C implementation on certain computer models.

This issue is not specific to the peripherals themselves.

This issue causes the communication in the protocol to essentially break, thus data is dropped.

This manifests as various symptoms, depending on the peripheral. For Kontrol S MK3, the dropped data can interrupt a firmware update, or controller -> DAW and/or controller -> Plug-in sync.

The issue can appear at random, frequently or infrequently.

Using a USB-C hub interrupts and bypasses the problematic communication specific to the chips used in the USB-C implementation of affected machines.

We can highlight and advise on workarounds, should a customer be affected.

We can, and have, reported this directly to the manufacturers of affected models. So have many other manufacturers of peripherals.

They can, and have, fixed it in newer models, but of course there exist affected models in the market that will forever be subject to the workaround.

We cannot do any more than this. I'm sorry that some of you choose to blame us. I recognize that it's deeply frustrating, but I cannot change the facts of the matter that I've outlined above.

MK3 has two ports:

1) For simultaneously data and power

2) For auxiliary power if the first port is not able to provide adequate power (e.g. a USB-A port)

These are not two separate issues.

Matthew_NI, Product Team, 3:11PM , 2024-02-19 ,

This narrative simply isn't factual. I know how frustrating this is - but please recognize that the shortcoming here is specific to the USB-C implementation in certain hardware, and not the peripherals that are affected by the shortcoming.

As I've stated - it is to do with communication protocols in the chip breaking down, which can affect the transfer of whatever's coming down the pipe (USB-C cable).

Also, we are not talking about a lot of cases. We are talking about a small number of cases handled either here in the forum, or via our customer support channels, or both. The number of unaffected customers is exponentially larger.

….....

Because of issues with USB-C chips set implementations on a number of computer products beyond the control of Native Instruments then in some cases there are need for workaround(s) to make the S Series MK3 keyboard work on some computers ! A fix for some of the affected Mac users has been to use an USB-C to USB-A cable (and plug into USB-A port on computer) and while doing that then also attach an USB-C power supply capable of PD and a PD suitable cable to keyboard power port !. Else users are advised to try to use a self-powered USB-C hub capable of PD as go between between keyboard and computer. Remember that any cable from data port on keyboard must support data transfer and and any cable in keyboards power port must support PD (Power Delivery)

Also please refer to these knowledge base articles :

Kontrol S-Series MK3: Troubleshooting Firmware Update Issues and How to Update the Firmware of Your Kontrol S-Series MK3 !

• Dilando
    Options

Thank you for your response, it's frustrating so maybe I wasn't specific enough about my problem, can you give me a usb hub reference that could possibly solve this problem?

• Dilando
    Options

and i always take contact with support of natives instrument but im waiting responses

• PoorFellow
    Options

My greater problem here is that not only am I just another user promoted to Moderator , but I also do not have a S Series MK3 keyboard to test with and also I am not privy to any kind of insider information , and even if I had had any insider information then I would not have been allowed to say anything as I then would have been bound by a NDA . So I do not have any direct insight to which self-powered USB-C hubs would be great ! Also again , some users, sometimes reports that switching to that cable that they got with their phone were what did the trick for them , so even if I were to suggest some self-powered USB-C hub then I am not in a position to promise you that that would solve your problem !

Generally speaking though then what is recommended is a self-powered USB-C hub with Power Delivery support so that not only will the USB-C hub act as a go-between between keyboard and computer but I think that the hub will also act as power delivery ! In connection with that then it is very important that the cables used support both Data transfer and Power transfer ! (some will suggest the use of the passive thunderbolt 4 cables , other will say that they used their cheap phone cable).

Also , many users have reported that switching to that other USB port did the trick (and you might also want to disconnect any non-vital USB equipment to minimize risk of interference)

I wish that I had some information of 'real value' to offer in connection with your specific issue but alas I do not ! I can only report and give best advice based on that !

• Dilando
    Options

Hi, i just bought USB-C hub with Power Delivery support, and i have still the same message when i start firmware update « please connect your Kontrol S Mk3 and click RESCAN..