Crash when opening projects with Komplete Kontrol in Sampler mode

moai
moai Member Posts: 28 Member
edited April 2023 in Komplete Kontrol

Hello, I have been experiencing crashes with Komplete Kontrol when using it in Sampler mode, I am able to reproduce it consistently and it always leads to a crash.

This issue happens with any sample loaded in the Sampler window, regular instruments work properly.

I would like to ask if someone could reproduce the same issue.

Steps to reproduce

• Open Komplete Kontrol in a DAW, load a sample from the samples tab.
  • Save, close and reopen the project, after reopening Komplete Kontrol the DAW crashes.

Example of the issue

I use Studio one, first I load the sample:

If I close and reopen the window, Komplete Kontrol resizes and cuts part of the content, but it does not crash:

After closing and reopening the project, Komplete Kontrol reopens in a mini window and after some seconds it crashes:

Note: if I keep the Komplete Kontrol instrument view closed it works properly, so it is able to receive midi input and output sound. It only crashes when I reopen the GUI on a saved project.

Tested systems and versions

• Windows 11 Home and Pro, build 22621
  • 2023 Up to date redistributables
  • Komplete Kontrol 2.9.1, Kontakt 6.7.1, Kontakt Player 7.3.0
  • Tested on a laptop i7 1260P and desktop Ryzen 5900X
  • Studio One 6.1.0

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,298 mod
    Answer ✓

Hey all, the bug has been filed: KBDSW-7402 It is now in the hands of the developers.

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,194 Expert

If you can wait, tomorrow I’ll try to reproduce it and report you back

• moai

Thank you! 😊 I did not notice this problem until now because I've always been using instruments instead of samples, so I only have my latest project affected. I also don't know if this happened with previous versions.

• LostInFoundation
    edited April 2023

Ok. I have all the same softwares as you (except I uninstalled Kontakt 7 player cause it gave me some problems being installed together with full 6) so I can test it exactly like in your case

• LostInFoundation
    edited April 2023

Writing it made me think: this is the first thing I would investigate. Try to uninstall K7 player and see if leaving only 6.7.1 changes something (sometimes having both messes for the computer the choice of which one to use)

• moai

I uninstalled K7 player and tried doing the steps explained here (deactivate always use latest version of NI plugins):

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/7421/how-to-uninstall-kontakt-7-player

Still no success, same behavior 😥

• LostInFoundation

Give me 10 min, I test it on my side and report you back

• moai
    edited April 2023

Additional info about the error:

If I load KK with a sample, then close the instrument and reopen it again it has part of the UI resized, but then if I open the KK configuration the UI gets messed up:

If I move the mouse over the items they start appearing. I have uploaded a video of the problem:

• LostInFoundation
    edited April 2023

Ok. I checked. Everything is working correctly on my Surface (even making the steps of the new infos). I even tried using your same one-shot (909Tom X1) to minimize the differences).

No resizing, no small window, no crashes.

I tested both with Studio One’s High DPI mode on or off and it’s working in both cases.

In any case, since it sounds the problem could be exactly with the graphic card…Did you check this option? Your “Enable High DPI mode” is on or off? (Studio One options -> General (last option on the page). It could be the culprit.

What is your monitor settings/resolution and your graphic card anyway?

• moai
    edited April 2023

Thanks for testing! I have tried deactivating the High DPI now and still no success, I have two rigs, one is a laptop with a regular 1080p screen and integrated Intel graphics, the desktop has a 1440p and RTX 2060. Both have the same issue and I have the same plugins installed.

I will try with another DAW to see if the issue if from the plugin or the host.

• LostInFoundation

Good idea to narrow down causes.

But in any case It should be working also inside Studio One (as it is in my computer)

• moai
    edited April 2023

Hello, I encounter the same error with FL Studio trial version, so the issue seems to come from NI. I have tried with loops and I see the same bug. The audio/sampler tools are available under Instruments>Internal>Audio/Sampler, running them from there without a sample loaded also leads to the same problem. I suppose they run within Komplete Kontrol, so maybe I could try a previous version of KK, do you know how to install a previous version? @LostInFoundation could you please check if your KK version is 2.9.1 2023-03-30 and if you ran the VST3 version?

Here a video of the same issue in FL:

• LostInFoundation

The samples in fact come from Kontakt or Maschine expansions. KK is just a wrapper for all NI instruments which loads Kontakt in turn . In your video, what you see is Kontakt UI in the first case (Straylight). If you go in View and chose the Edit View instead of the compact one, you’ll see the full Kontakt UI. In the second case (the One-shot) as you see when you push on the All One-Shots banner the browser show all the installed expansions so you can see where a One-shot comes from.

About NI Being the culprit…for one time I’m not so shure in blaming them ☺️

This issue seems a lot to have something to do with graphic card/image rendering.

Some times ago (a couple of years?) Studio One used to have a trouble similar to this with all 3rd party plugins. They discovered in the end that was something about using High DPI (hence why I tested this too). So probably your problem is happening because of a mixture of things: how NI GUI is made and how your DAWS are managing it.

But these are only speculations. I’m not sure yet of what is happening

• moai
    edited April 2023

Yes, I am not 100% sure it's a NI VST problem yet, but testing it in different computers and different DAW seems to point in that direction. If it's a rendering problem I expect to be able to reproduce it with only one of my computers, but testing on my laptop which has a non-high dpi screen and Intel graphics leads to same results. I tried updating the NVIDIA drivers and changing the frame cap, as this was a problem I experienced on certain plugins, but no luck yet.

I have opened a support case and linked this thread to see if the support team is able to reproduce the error.

Thanks again for the help @LostInFoundation !

• LostInFoundation

You have a good sense on what/how to test things. I’m sure you’ll solve this puzzle

• Budyeti
    Budyeti Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

i have the exact same problem on my simple thinkpad computor and i am starting to think that it has to do with my computor not being able to operate with komplete kontrol. the weird thing is that i also use studio one and it worked with komplete kontrol earlier today. i really liked komplete kontrol so this is not bringing me happiness