Selling a MK2 without Serial, got a MK3 serial...

PortableDJs
PortableDJs Member Posts: 50 Member

Hi guys!

Writing you down to ask for support as I bought a Mk3 and wanted to sell my Mk2.

The issue here is that the Mk2 has not serial sticker (it was removed) so the person who will buy it wont get a copy of Maschine Software.

I already have a Maschine license I got with a Micro (which I cannot transfer anymore), plus I have the serial of my Mk3.

I put on sale my Mk2 for cheap (€99) but people keep asking for Maschine Software too, I am thinking of giving my MK3 serial with the Mk2 but I am not sure if I risk messing things up this way (the Mk2 buyer will have my latest Maschine serial, kind of suc*s).

Any advice guys?

Cheers

G.

Tagged:

Comments

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 4,163 mod
    edited September 19

I do not know the specifics of all devices but if the Maschine software is considered base software for your MK3 then it probably is not transferable anyway other than with the hardware in which case the buyer gets a copy also if registering the MK3 serial. Quote Matt_NI : All you need to know about License Transfer

I understand that your main problem is the missing serial on bottom of the MK2 but if there is any way of getting around that then also with respect to that then only support will know or only they can help, so the best thing is to ask support since they always have the final say with respect to licenses and transfers if there is anything that can be done they are in charge and if not (probably, don't know) then they will tell you :

Contact N.I. Account Support and explain the situation There has just been introduced chat support for Account assistance (at least daytime on normal work days) :

Please refer to the page : How to get in touch with our Customer Care.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 3,255 mod
    edited September 19

Do not do that, it might be an issue in the future. (Say for example when Maschine v3 comes out it requires a MK3 license for a discount or something, then you're screwed)

There shouldn't be any need for stickers, go here:

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/my-account/license-transfer/request-for-transfer/

Search for something along the lines of "Maschine 2 SW for MK2", select it and confirm transfer, after a couple of minutes or days your will get a "Transfer ID Code" which you can give to the buyer after he pays.

If confused or in doubt then contact support like PoorFellow said, they can handle transfers but it takes more time than the automated process.

• PortableDJs
    edited September 19

Hi D-One, thank your for your response.

I ll re explain my case, so if someone will stop here with same problem in the future, it might help somehow.

I purchased a Mk2 (probably a display unit) which didn't come with a serial number (in the rear it only has a ID number) roughly one year ago. The seller told me that it did not come with Maschine Software, but that was not a issue for me, cuz I had the software already.

Now I am trying to sell the Mk2, but without the Maschine Software license, the prospects seem very reluctant to buy it.

I contacted NI support, but they say they cannot help, since the Mk2 doesn't come with serial number (got the reply few hours ago).

The new buyer either already has the Maschine Software or buy a 69€ license.

• D-One
    edited September 20

Oh, my bad… I didn't realize you already got it without software to begin with.

On ebay its gonna be near impossible, i've seen mk2's sold for 70$ or less with SW, without it for 99 you'd need a clueless person to impulse buy.

Try to sell in used sales websites from your country, lower that price to 50$, add a note that you can close the deal in person, let the buyer try and be clear on your ad that its without SW, thats how I sold a Mikro MK3 without software… but thats a more modern controller. Good luck!

• PortableDJs

Prices in my country and even most european countries are different. A used Mk2 with software ranges from 150 to 250ish €, a used Mk2 for 50€ simply do not exist here on the second hand market, unless we are talking about a broken/spare parts unit. Sold mine for roughly 100€ (the same amount I spent originally) few days ago, I simply had to wait for the right customer to approach, in my case someone interested on Mk2 midi capabilities.

• D-One

Yeah you're right, in EU it's around 150-200 asking price, you'd have to keep an eye for bargains and negotiate to get close to the US prices.

Idk if it's popular where you live but here in my side of Europe wallapop has became way better than ebay, for example: MK2 75Eur with SW located in Italy:

https://it.wallapop.com/item/maschine-mk2---maleta-udg-de-transporte-1045535347

But most are in the range you said, if they sell it at asking price or not is another story.

• The P.O.T.Y
    The P.O.T.Y Member Posts: 57 Member

Yea, learned with Mikro (white) MK2 w 1.8. Had to buy 2.0 even though dropped few weeks later. There is a HW and SW license with Maschine. What D-one explaining is a situation a few ppl had in the beginning. Even if you own multiple HW or buy SW always think ahead.

I bought Maschine 2 now got Maschine 2 update, update for Maschine (mikro hw) and Maschine 2 for MK3 (mk3 hw). And one time, when they drop a Komplete that was advertised update/upgrade with "a certain Maschine HW" that was cheaper then Komplete update/upgrade, they pulled the purchase date and receipt card on me. Which still not on the compare page at top. And since I owned a full Komplete that was low at time, now got Komplete for Maschine and one say existing Maschine and NOW stuck deciding to buy update, upgrade for Komplete on sale. Because my Maschine HW isnt avaible for upgrade price…right now its only the Mikro MK3. Not even Maschine +. They wont have HW serial options if sold, but have to purchase own Maschine SW regardless to get in the Maschine GANG. Drop price, or include Maschine 2.0 in price…We all STILL WAITING for to see "Who has to pay for Maschine 3.0?" 🙄