Will Traktor Pro 3 Implement Track Recommendations like Traktor DJ 2 (please;)

Options
J-New
J-New Member Posts: 22 Member

I posted in Discussion as well.

Not trying to be obnoxious lol, but I am just learning to DJ and I use a wide variety of music- Hip Hop to Hippie and My Originals too. So having Traktor Pro 3 recommend Matches would save a HUGE amount of time and make the work flow more fun. I'd just stay in Traktor DJ 2 but the Tempo is so limited and it lacks the Stems and ReMix Decks. Is there a timeline on when the team at Traktor will add Track Recommendations to Traktor Pro 3?

Thank you for your time, I love NI and Traktor gear!!

10 votes

Collecting Upvotes · Last Updated

Comments

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,373 mod
    Options

With all respect, if the software start to recommend the next track, then what is the purpose of the DJ? Lets put everything in auto-pilot and end the story.

But also for the DJ, where is the fun, where is the excitement, where is the knowledge and all the beautiful moments if a software suggest you what to do?

That said, also think about this fact: Traktor DJ 2 is mostly for newbies, while Traktor Pro is mostly for professional (usually, but not exclusively of course). So, as a professional who care a lot about his reputation, i would be really ashamed to use a software that has tracks recommendations.

So, from me is a big NO. 🙂

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,772 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

There is no shame in using software to do what you want it to do. Rather it's awesome if the software provides not just what you need (reliably), but also some features you may want to use only once in a while (also reliably).

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,407 Expert
    Options

Linking tracks if done easy is nice. It's still the DJ who links them. It's like putting a post it note on your vinyl "goes good with X"

A memory helper. And my track name memory is not good.

• Sunborn
    Options

Unfortunately, in my scene it is not like that... there is a part of the audience who if you even use "sync" they think you are not a "real" oldschool DJ... Funny thing though is that 90% of the big names use sync and of course i also do so :-)

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,772 mod
    Options

I'm sure you know this but still; don't try to please all of them. :)

And on topic: What's your audience doing? Looking over your shoulder assessing your pc-ness? They should be dancing or otherwise enjoying themselves. They shouldn't care less about how the DJ pre-selects tracks.

• Sunborn
    Options

Indeed, on a festival or some other major event, they dancing of course and no one is behind my shoulder... in a club however, there might be few annoying individuals occasionally, asking nonsense or requesting the most incompatible track you can even imagine, which i kick them out of the booth instantly!

But on social media... blah-blah-blah... apapapapa... you don't want to know... 😂

Still, while i'm playing the goal is to please all of them because you know, that's one of the main purposes of a DJ, however i never go out of my direction just to please few... also, for include a track on my playlist the first and most important rule is to like the track, otherwise i never play it, even if 1000 people like it...

While everything we do, is for the people and the music itself, my point of view is that the DJ is not a random individual but rather the alchemist, the "maestro" of the orchestra... an artist, not some guy for the errands of the crowd. And this brings us back to the eternal question... Does everyone qualified for been a DJ?

On a local level, or among friends or for one's personal joy, yes, for sure. On a professional or semi-professional level, no, absolutely not.

• J-New
    edited January 22
    Options

I'm a musician more than a DJ, I know some theory, but to have to scan 150 tracks and try to match 3rds and 5ths and Minor 6ths (and yes I know there is Camelot Key) over all the different ways to combine tracks is a tall task. I see no foul at all in using a Track Recommendation to cut that 150 down to 35 and then pick and choose which tracks to creatively mix. Especially if you are trying out new songs. I'm sure even the Expert DJ could expand their mixes from using a tool like Track Recommendation. I had no intention of setting things on "cruise" lol and letting the TR take the set over. HOWEVER, my question was "Will Traktor 3 be implementing a Track Recommendation?" I appreciate everyone's opinion and I'm sure you are all more experienced than myself, so thank you for taking the time to comment!!

• J-New
    Options

Lol, all it does is save time. I'm a Musician and I use a bit of Theory 3rds, 5ths Minor 6ths to Harmonic Mix- I don't just use Camelot Key. Having Recommended Tracks I might not have thought of before is a cool tool. The DJ always picks the track... Never hurts to have Tracks Recommened you never thought of.

• Sunborn
    Options

OK, personally i am not a fan of "easiness" as it take out all the pleasure, imo.

But i respect your point of view. If users want that feature, so be it.

...as long as it can be disabled for those of us who does not wish to use it. 😉

• J-New
    Options

On T2 you can take it or leave it.... I am a fan of easiness lol, and also any tool like Track Recommendation, that widens my ideas of Tracks to mix... I like to be creative, use the filters, effects, tempo, harmony, do unique transitions.... I get it, you don't want people to hit "cruise" and sip their drink lol, but if they do that people will just stop coming... lol... Have a good one!

• complexprocess
    complexprocess Member Posts: 8 Member
    Options

I LOVE this feature in Traktor DJ 2. For those who haven't used it, it's a little side window that pops up in the browser and shows you up to 50 tracks from your library that are near your current track's tempo and in an adjacent key, sorted from most similar at the top to least similar at the bottom. So it's not like it's mixing for you, it's just giving you a bunch of ideas that might work. It's sort of like the Traktor Pro magnifying glass in the Browser where you can search for similar tempos or adjacent keys, but it combines both into one list and it automatically updates each time you start a new track.

It's SUPER helpful for those late nights where people are feeling it and you just want to keep the vibe going, but your brain is a little cooked. It's also great when you're practicing and you're looking for ideas you might not have thought of yourself.

• Demus
    Demus Member Posts: 162 Pro
    Options

This is so funny it made no sense. Question how many soda crates of records you took to your last club gig. Never fight technology just embrace it. Traktor DJ 2 was a more modern DJ software compared to Traktor Pro 3 for one it was a universal app, and the coding was more modern. This feature is now on all of the forward-thinking modern DJ software and include tracks from online streaming services also in the recommendations. Virtual DJ, Djay Pro 5, Rekordbox DJ which would also mean Serato DJ will after the merger has this feature. That leaves only Traktor Pro 3 as the only one without it and the same goes for stems.

• complexprocess
    complexprocess Member Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Maybe this could be integrated with Smartlists as a new option? I wonder if that would be easier to implement and more flexible. Surely people would enjoy the ability to have their Smartlists update based on parameters from the currently-playing track? I'm going to file a request for that as a separate idea, to see if it gains traction.