Export MIDI about Maschine

swingmix
swingmix Member Posts: 114 Member

I am currently using Maschine VST in STUDIO ONE. May I ask if MIDI of a track can be exported from MASCHINE? Every time I drag and drop now, I drag and drop everything.

However, sometimes I just want to Kick midi, what should I do?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,195 Expert
    edited May 2023 Answer ✓

Ok…I’m doing some test, and effectively it works in a strange way (not like exporting audio, where soloing a pad exports only that one).

What I found till now:

Using midi drag and drop, different options:

• just clicking the mouse button, it exports the midi from different pads separated on different tracks (like you already know)
    • mouse button + Ctrl, it exports pads separated on the same track one after the other
    • selecting on the group “Sounds to MIDI Notes” (right mouse click on the group, Group MIDI Batch Setup, Sounds to MIDI Notes) it exports all the midi notes from one group on one file on the same track (different pads are put on the piano roll))

At the moment, the fastest way to export one pad midi (but not with drag and drop) is to right click on the sound slot of the pad and select Export MIDI, save it on computer (maybe the desktop) and then drag the saved file in Studio One

Continuing with tests now 😉 (it seems strange to me drag and drop for midi doesn’t act like for audio (where you can solo a pad)…I will even call it a bug (or a bad design))

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    edited May 2023

You can drag and drop a single pad too. Select it, hold Ctrl and then drag and drop it

No wait…it just export all the pads, but one after the other on the same track… let me check

• LostInFoundation
    edited May 2023 Answer ✓

Ok…I’m doing some test, and effectively it works in a strange way (not like exporting audio, where soloing a pad exports only that one).

What I found till now:

Using midi drag and drop, different options:

• just clicking the mouse button, it exports the midi from different pads separated on different tracks (like you already know)
    • mouse button + Ctrl, it exports pads separated on the same track one after the other
    • selecting on the group “Sounds to MIDI Notes” (right mouse click on the group, Group MIDI Batch Setup, Sounds to MIDI Notes) it exports all the midi notes from one group on one file on the same track (different pads are put on the piano roll))

At the moment, the fastest way to export one pad midi (but not with drag and drop) is to right click on the sound slot of the pad and select Export MIDI, save it on computer (maybe the desktop) and then drag the saved file in Studio One

Continuing with tests now 😉 (it seems strange to me drag and drop for midi doesn’t act like for audio (where you can solo a pad)…I will even call it a bug (or a bad design))

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited May 2023

To export a single Pad just enter Keyboard Mode and drag and drop.

I am not aware of any CTRL-holding features, perhaps that's an import feature of Studio One.

Changing the MIDI Batch Setup will also change how the IN/OUT MIDI works, I don't recommend it unless you know what you're doing.

• LostInFoundation
    edited May 2023

Oh ok…that’s in keyboard mode. Strange they didn’t keep the same behavior as for audio (solo one pad and only it’s audio/midi gets dragged). As I said, making same behavior achievable in 2 different ways is not the best design, in my opinion.

Ctrl holding must definitely be something peculiar to Studio One. In Ableton it doesn’t work like in Studio One.

Midi Batch changing is very useful to have a single midi file dragged with all the midi from different pads being exported to a piano roll. It’s enough to remember to set it back to Sounds to MIDI Channels after the export

• swingmix

Great! It worked! Thank you so much!

---------

I ask another question, does MASCHINE's extension need EXE installation to be recognized every time? Or I'll just keep the contents of the folder. MASCHINE will automatically recognize the contents of the folder as soon as he sees them?

I don't like installing EXE very much. It's a hassle.

• swingmix

Yes, I like the fact that MIDI is flexible and convenient to put into the STUDIO ONE track, and can do something of its own.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited May 2023

@LostInFoundation said:

Midi Batch changing is very useful to have a single midi file dragged with all the midi from different pads being exported to a piano roll. It’s enough to remember to set it back to Sounds to MIDI Channels after the export

Wait what? That only makes sense when the goal is to have all the MIDI that triggers the Group in the same DAW MIDI track, so if you change it back then you defeat the purpose and end up with a mess...

Batch change is for when you want to pick between MIDI Notes triggering the Pads or MIDI Channels; these two options aren't interchangeable. If you want a single midi track in the DAW then "Batch MIDI Notes" is your only option, and if it's multiple tracks you want then Channel is the only option, otherwise, you get chaos.

@swingmix asked:

I ask another question, does MASCHINE's extension need EXE installation to be recognized every time? Or I'll just keep the contents of the folder. MASCHINE will automatically recognize the contents of the folder as soon as he sees them?

I don't like installing EXE very much. It's a hassle.

Sorry, I don't understand the question. The Maschine .exe is the standalone application, the contents of the folder are what their name implies, the Exe and the Plugins need those folders unless you save your stuff in another place.

When you install Maschine it will always install the .exe and plugins automatically, it should be a 1 click operation in Native Access so I am not sure how that can be a hassle but I guess if you never use the standalone exe and only use the plugins then you can delete the exe but I fail to see a point.

Yes, everything in those folders should show up automatically in the browser, depending on what you're doing a rescan might be required.

• swingmix

I'm not asking about Maschine installation. If you install Maschine, you must pass EXE

I'm asking about expansions.

If it is convenient, please go to the new post to discuss.

thank you!😋