How do you use Traktor effects from a Kontrol X1 in external mix mode?

Reactiv
Reactiv Member Posts: 5 Newcomer

I need a little help figuring out the proper settings to hear the effects from Traktor through a Kontrol X1 to an external mixer while Traktor is in external mix mode. Mixer has one USB to the computer and main audio out to my monitors. I’m using the external mixer internal sound card. Traktor is updated to the latest and all my firmware for the mixer are updated to the latest as well.

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Wyley
    Wyley Member Posts: 239 Pro
    Answer ✓

You can do that. What you will encounter is latency from the round trip the audio will have to make from your mixer to Traktor then back to your mixer so you will get a doubling or phasing offset of the dry signal with the wet one. I have to set traktor to it's lowest buffer size to get good results which using only 2 decks is ok.

The send from your mixer is set on the channel strip and the return is controlled from the dedicated channel strip (usb return) on the left side of your mixer. You'll have to be a good knob tweaker lol

• Wintermute
    Wintermute Member Posts: 8 Member
    Answer ✓

No.

1. The send knob sends signal into the effect.
    2. The dry/wet knob on the X1 ALWAYS has to be on full wet, otherwise the original signal will bleed through with a slight delay and that's not great.
    3. The return fader sets the volume of the effect in your mix.

To have an effect trail off, you just cut send to the effect, leave everything else alone. (Have your delay/feedback or reverb/size parameter on the max, to have a long trail.)

Answers

• Wyley
    edited February 2022

What mixer are you using? This is important because it will determine if can can use traktor effects on the deck before the mixer or post fader on the mixer. I have the dn-x600 and Mackie D.2pro mixers and can use traktor effects post fader with them.

• Reactiv

Xone 96. It’s brand new.

• Reactiv

Ok that’s some good info, thank you for pointing that post out. I did have one question though, in one of his replies OP says: “Ok, I got it. To have the effect tail out, I used to turn the effect off in 'insert' mode. Now I have to cut send to achieve the same thing.”

What did they mean by this? Is this another setting inside Traktor?

• Wyley
    edited February 2022

He's talking about the ch send knob on the mixer. Ideally you want the effect to tail out when you pull the fader down on the channel strip or cut the xfader. Instead he had to cut the send to get the tail. The Xone 96 effects routing has too many options for it's own good lol.

You should only assign one of the traktor fx units to send. Things to take note of is traktor has it's own dry and wet knob and so does your mixer. You'll have to work both of those at the same time and I think that's where the confusion happens.

On my x600 I have 3 s/r modes to toggle between. 1. internal mixer fx, 2. external fx, 3. software fx. When I use the 3rd mode for traktor fx the buttons and knobs on the mixer fx unit are mapped to the traktor fx unit and can control them like it was a natural part of the mixer. To do it on yours will feel a little unnatural but still with satisfying results.

• Reactiv

Ok. So if I understand what you’re saying is first I need to set up the settings the same way as the other guy did. Then I can use the effect in send mode. Now to have say a reverb trail off I need to use both the d/w knob on the X1 AND the send knob on the mixer at the same time? Or I can just keep the d/w knob full on the X1 and use the send knob on the mixer to get the trail off effect?

• Wyley
    Answer ✓

You can do that. What you will encounter is latency from the round trip the audio will have to make from your mixer to Traktor then back to your mixer so you will get a doubling or phasing offset of the dry signal with the wet one. I have to set traktor to it's lowest buffer size to get good results which using only 2 decks is ok.

The send from your mixer is set on the channel strip and the return is controlled from the dedicated channel strip (usb return) on the left side of your mixer. You'll have to be a good knob tweaker lol

• Wintermute
    Wintermute Member Posts: 8 Member
    Answer ✓

No.

1. The send knob sends signal into the effect.
    2. The dry/wet knob on the X1 ALWAYS has to be on full wet, otherwise the original signal will bleed through with a slight delay and that's not great.
    3. The return fader sets the volume of the effect in your mix.

To have an effect trail off, you just cut send to the effect, leave everything else alone. (Have your delay/feedback or reverb/size parameter on the max, to have a long trail.)

• Reactiv

Ok that makes sense. It’ll probably make more sense once I get back behind the decks and try it out. Had to leave for work, so I’m anxiously wanting to go back and test it out. Thanks for the help