TP 3.8 glitches with heavy load

DJM (Sagar)
DJM (Sagar) Member Posts: 45 Helper

Hi all. Having trouble with TP 3.8

After an hour of playing with the same settings with a Traktor Z2 the app glitches with heavy load.

This was not a problem with 3.7 and nothing has changed since on my PC.

Anyone facing similar problems?

Tagged:

Answers

• Markovicz
    Markovicz Customer Care Posts: 381 mod

Hi @DJM (Sagar), I am sorry to hear that. Let's have a closer look: could you please connect & power the Z2, then open Preferences / Audio setup and post a screenshot here? THX!

• AudiFreq
    AudiFreq Member Posts: 20 Member

Not sure if it's the same issue, but usually after 30+ mins of playing with 3.8 and my S4 Mk2 the audio locks up and I have to unplug the USB and plug it back in

• DJM (Sagar)

Hi @Mark_NI

Thanks.

I'll do that later today but here are the audio Prefs.

Z2 ASIO

48000Hz (only option for Z2)

256 samples (3 ms usb buffer)

Other equipment connected - 2 CDJ 400 Limited Ed. Via the Z2 usb hub.

I've always played with 256 and the load never creeps up unless I use macro FX and even then never crosses half. Though when the problem occured, I tried 512 (4ms usb buffer) and the problem persisted.

I'll need to run the same setup again with 3.8 to test it again which means playing for more than 30 mins - 60 mins with it.

After this happened last weekend, I had to revert back to 3.7 for my gig and I played for a good 5-6 hrs as normal- no spikes.

• leesinthemix
    leesinthemix Member Posts: 249 Guru

I'm having issues with 3.8 using Keylock and Ableton Link. Bug filled by Traktor team already.

Seems like there will be some bug fixes which will delay the 3.9 beta.

• Markovicz

THX for the feedback already! Quick question: are you a Traktor Pro Plus subscriber?

• Markovicz

Hi there, is this a behavior that came up only after updating to 3.8.0? Which version have you used before? What is your operating system?

• AudiFreq
    AudiFreq Member Posts: 20 Member

I have had this happen before 3.8 but it's still happening, running windows 10 (high-performance everything)

• SteveKDJ
    SteveKDJ Member Posts: 132 Helper

hi,

I have mentioned this problem several times, but no professional has responded. I don't have a set time. once it freezes, or just sound stops or this or that.

sk2mk3 windows 10 and windows 11, whatever.

The picture is visible during beta, but as I said not only during beta.

see. https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/comment/58688/#Comment_58688

• zephry
    zephry Member Posts: 566 Pro
    edited March 2023

If you have switchable graphics try forcing Traktor to use a set one. Most likely set it to the higher performance one, but try both.

Also look into your support application that is installed by the computer manufacturer.

Sometimes known issues and updates are available there and of course bios updates. If there is any performance options there change them to higher performance. If not check for another application that controls performance modes.

For instance on my Asus rog zephyrusg14, I have a gaming center. Sometimes the performance states are things like quiet mode, balanced mode and boosted, etc.

Another thing to do is go through your device manager and manually update each device driver, let windows search the internet for driver. Also do this with the Z2 device there. This can take a long time to do, but sometimes there are missed updates available that way.

You can also look up your specific model online and check for any certain issues. Do a search for your model and a generic term like "Your laptop model/latency and stuttering problems" you might find issues similar to Traktor with your specific model and maybe fixes.

I had a Dell G7 that had horrible latency even with just playing audio at all. I don't think they ever fixed it but what solved it for me was a very long time searching and testing. The problem ended up being the Support application constantly checking the system. I had to uninstall it and reinstall to do my updates.

• DJM (Sagar)

I've uninstalled z2 drivers and reinstalled them. This seemed to help but I need to test further. I changed the graphics to onboard and that made things worse so went back to high performance graphics. In 3.8, it starts off well and in forty minutes to an hour just fills up the buffer and glitches out until you disconnect and reconnect.

In general there are still too many factors making this go wrong and software optimisation is the top one in my opinion. The fact that turbo boost and MS power saving optimisations can't just be turned off easily contribute significantly to this because they are variables which differ from device to device. I don't know the Mac story.

Ive hopped over to Serato during this period of problems and while I do still gig with Traktor, I find I don't need to worry about odd and unexpected behaviour with serato. Basically, you plug a Serato device in, it will work at 256 or 320 samples no stress.

• zephry

Even though Serato is working for you, have you tested the system with latencymon?

It will definitely tell you in a few minutes if the system is unstable.

• DJM (Sagar)

The system is perfectly fine on latencymon. This was tested before through all Traktor pro 3 versions. Nothing has changed on the pc between 3.7 and 3.8 except for Traktor so it makes no logical sense to suspect latencymon will provide different results.

This point keeps coming back and it makes no sense beyond the first time something fundamentally changes on the PC. The one I use is used only for Traktor and music production. Nothing else that's heavy or would require driver changes which might provide more variables to the latency problem.

What I can report is that since having reinstalled z2 drivers it has made a difference.

Additionally, now I've gone and done a few other things to test. Mainly - artificially limit turbo boost. This is done by setting my maximum processor usage to 98% which in effect stops the turbo boost kicking in. This seems to have really made a big difference. Still testing with this before I can confidently say it's a work around. Though please note, this wasn't required with 3.7. With 3.7 I just put the W10 battery slider to best performance and I was good for any number of hours of gigging. In fact, the day I posted about this I had reverted back to 3.7 for a gig that night which went smoothly.

Here's all the settings in this test-

1. New power plan based on balanced with changes - USB selective suspend off, make sure all usb hubs and ports in device manager have the power saving mode turned off, max processor when plugged in 98% and min 50%

2. Battery slider up to best performance

3. Reinstalled z2 drivers, s4mk3 uninstalled from device manager and resintalled by automatically connecting

Forgive the typos. Typing on the phone.

• DJM (Sagar)

I can confirm the problem persists. The load does not spike after the above changes but after 40-60 mins the sound slows down, glitches and can't be fixed without changing the audio output to something else and back or restarting Traktor.

• zephry

That is exactly what happens to me if I use the Wasapi driver. And also the bitrate tends to switch automatically when using Wasapi.

I check my system bitrate and set Traktor to the same using the Asio driver for S4mk3. I believe mine is at 48k.

To confirm this is what might be happening, try switching the bitrate lower and higher with a track playing, if it changes pitch or tempo, that is the problem.