NIPatcher - Tool to modify Maschine (MacOS)

D-One
D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
edited January 10 in Maschine

Hello! I'll try to keep this as short as possible:

(KK video for now, will add a Maschine one later)

NIPatcher is a tool to modify Maschine app and plugins to add functionality to hardware or improve annoyances of the GUI interface. The goal is to have an easy way for users to apply mods/hacks that have been shared on the forum, there aren't that many currently but hopefully, this encourages some people to find more.

The app GUI should be mostly self-explanatory and work in Ventura, Monterey, and Big Sur, with native Apple silicon support as well.

If all goes well I'll add more mods/hacks as I find them or other users share details on how to do certain things. I plan to make it open-source once I figure out how to use Github properly.

EDIT: NIPatcher is open-source now. I don't know how to handle push/pull requests yet but doubt anyone would contribute anyway. Will focus on Windows for a while and see if I can manage that.

GUI / Interface

• The Window Size mod: Allows users to change the default window size presets for Maschine, this is not super useful for the Maschine application but quite handy for Plugins as they aren't resizable... So, if you want for example a full-screen MAS-Plug you can have it by just changing the "Small" preset pixel size. You can also remove minimum size limitations for the Maschine app, this probably is not very useful for most people.

Font Size: Main reason for NIPatcher actually, fonts are tiny and pixilated so this helps quite a bit. Button size affects Tags in the Browser, Pad Names, Pattern names in Ideas view, etc... Label size affects mainly the Browser Preset list but probably many other things too. Here's an example of changing both fonts from 11 to 15:

Hardware:

• Stop button [MK3, Mikro MK3 and M+] : Makes the Stop actually useful for something by bringing the Playhead back to the start if double pressed as DAW's do; or if the project is not playing. It's a better version of this hack I shared a while ago.
  • Jam Focus [JAM] : Enables changing Patterns with Jam without changing the Group focus, Jam users asked for this a million times. All credit to @maschuser1 for sharing it here. I have not tested this since I don't own a Jam, let me know if it works

Change Log:

V1.1.1 April 5 2023

Added: Source Code to Github.

Added: Logo change for KK, so the user knows for sure if it's modded.

Added: Default window size when opening NIPatcher.

Fixed: Codesign not clearing the text window if used more than once.

Some more stuff I don't remember.

v1.1 April 1 2023

Added support for Komplete Kontrol (Separate thread)

Fixed a bug with codesign.

Minor cosmetic changes.

v1.0 - March 29 2023

First release. Maschine only.

Comments

• Peter Harris
    Peter Harris Member Posts: 470 Pro

Very cool!

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,302 Expert

Phantastic!

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

Good idea, if that goes well, I might make Win version. One day....

• Kymeia
    Kymeia Member Posts: 3,605 Expert

Thanks for this, am I right in thinking this isn't ready for Komplete Kontrol yet?

• Matt_NI
    Matt_NI Administrator Posts: 1,106 admin

Very cool, thanks for sharing D and something @Kaiwan_NI can pin on the homepage too :)

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,523 admin

Added to the homepage now 😀

• D-One

That would be nice, the functions that apply the mods are actually super simple and easy to port to C++ or other languages. My main problem with Windows is the resources inside an .exe file, for example, are not easily editable and require recompiling.

Correct, right now I need some feedback on if it works correctly or not before I complicate the app by adding KK stuff.

• Sunborn
    Sunborn Member Posts: 2,244 Expert

Any chance for Windows version? 😃

I just want to do a really simple thing, something that developers should add ASAP.

A key command for Save as (not the one on the main menu!), on Maschine, when you load a VST and you want to save presets as NKS. It is so annoying and time consuming, that you need to leave the plugin and use 3 mouse clicks every time, to access it... Also, when you click the Save as, it would be great to appear the name of the current preset, not the previous one!

• D-One
    edited March 2023

Not anytime soon I think.

You can already save NKSF presets from the controller (at least on MK3's/M+) by holding Shift while in the main Plugin-In menu, it will show you a 'Save' option below the 4th top button. You still have to press enter on your computer keyboard tho.

Not sure how it pulls the default name tho, I'll check.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,535 Expert

Nice work.

If only NI would add these as user accessible features, now that would be iimpressive!

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,198 Expert
    edited March 2023

Thank you very much. But I’ll need a windows version too, and it doesn’t seem that it will be provided very soon.

Plus, as somebody said, this is something that should be implemented officially by NI itself, otherwise at the minimum problem they would even blame US for modifying their product.

@Matt_NI and @Kaiwan_NI : could you please forward our requests AGAIN to the ones in charge and give us their answer? Specially about changing patterns without changing focus, something asked from a loooong time.

Adding this to the homepage is ok, but finding an official NI solution (or a statement they will never do it), would be way better

• Matt_NI

@LostInFoundation This isn't something the team is looking at implementing anytime soon. As I said elsewhere, other development is currently being prioritized across different parts of our portfolio.

And I don't know where you get the idea that we would blame users for sharing hacks when we literally encouraged folks to share these types of tricks for as long as I can remember. It's pinned on the homepage 🙄

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,198 Expert
    edited March 2023

Ok. Can you point me to where you talked about other development prioritized? Or share a word about what they are?

They seem quite important, since they have surpassed in the priority list functions the users are begging for from years

• Matt_NI
    edited March 2023

@LostInFoundation Let's stick to what this discussion is about. I don't want this thread to be hijacked by another discussion on roadmap or what we are working on right now. I'll ping you where I mentioned it.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert
    edited March 2023

@LostInFoundation I might make Win version. If Mac version develops a bit further and starts to be used by folks. I hope, those are just simple tweaks that need user interface for being usable for broad public....

It will not be very soon, I need to complete my projects that are already past deadline. :-(