Traktor Pro 4 Beta Tester Spotlight: Zephry

Kaiwan_NI
Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,826 admin

Meet Zephry, the most active beta tester for Traktor Pro 4.

A familiar face in our community, @zephry has played a crucial role by providing invaluable feedback and helping us fine-tune the latest updates to our software. In this interview, we explore Zephry's journey with Traktor and dive deep into his experiences during the beta testing phase.

Can you tell us a bit about yourself? 

I am 52 years old and currently live in the Seattle area of Washington State, USA. I originally started DJing with a software called Torq and the Exponent controller in 2009. I switched to Traktor in 2010 with the intent of making remixes of rock and pop songs, which led me to Ableton to learn to Warp (Beatgrid) tracks for DJ use. In the years since I have enjoyed learning production and becoming a better DJ.

My girlfriend and my neighbor also DJ. Most performances are for YouTube and Twitch, but we have also done parties, weddings, and events.

How did you get involved with our community? What motivated you to participate in the beta testing for our Traktor Pro 4? 

I started participating in the community in February 2011 when I purchased the very first Traktor hardware: The S4 MK1. The forum helped me learn a lot quickly and provided links to other sites with useful hardware and Traktor-related information.

I was mainly motivated to participate in beta testing out of excitement. I simply wanted to contribute and be involved in any way I could.  Also, Being on the forum for many years has given me insight into what others may want or not want in terms of changes and features.

Which new features in Traktor Pro 4 are you most excited about and why? 

I am most excited about the Flexible Beatgrid, this will be used on rock and pop songs for quick remixes. I also hope to help others understand when and why to use this.

When testing this in Beta, I was able to test gridding rock and pop tracks with techno and tech house music, which gave me a real time experience and instant ideas for use when DJing.

How did you find collaborating with other testers and our development team? 

I enjoyed seeing the feedback from other testers, especially from those who are more advanced than I am, particularly in mapping and software development. I think there’s a good mix of skills and expertise in the beta team. 

The responsiveness to testing feedback between beta versions was impressive. Everyone on the team showed a strong passion for helping and staying focused on the goals.

How do you think the new features will impact the overall user experience?

Traktor is one of the most advanced DJ software, even without the new features. I think the latest updates will not only retain existing users, but also bring new customers onboard.

The main advantage I hope everyone discovers is enhanced creativity. These updates enable DJs to craft new and exciting mixes while utilizing hardware in more unique ways for DJing.

Do you have any advice for new users or potential beta testers? 

For new users, starting simple with mixing just two tracks and gradually exploring more advanced features is key. There's so much Traktor can do, but you only have two hands. As you delve into mapping and customization, you unlock more possibilities. Finding your own style and taking the time to learn how to use the software in a personal way is essential. 

Potential beta testers should enjoy the experience of contributing to software improvement. Some advanced knowledge of your computer's operating system can also be helpful for troubleshooting

Any final words for our community and development team?

Thanks for the years of Traktor and all the help. My interaction here has helped me more than anything. It's important for everyone to stay committed and ensure Traktor remains at the forefront.

Catch zephry on YouTube!

Comments

• zephry
    zephry Member Posts: 645 Pro
    edited July 19

Thought this might also be helpful. Linked it for anyone that might connect through the blog.

• SteveKDJ
    SteveKDJ Member Posts: 143 Helper

Sorry, I don't want to spam you, but how can you mix on Twitch, because everything is blocked on my end!

• zephry
    edited July 19

Twitch is ok for live. They only silence copyright in the saved video after live broadcast. Then that video is taken down after 15 days or so regardless of it's content. Although I haven't been up much this summer so maybe things changed. YouTube is a bit different. But most copyright is a demonization. And nothing gets silenced or penalized.

I believe Twitch does it that way because many games have music and they don't want to accidentally ban the main users of the platform.

Keep in mind most music we play is not from major labels like Sony, Bmg, Atlantic. Mostly Beatport. And EDM type genres. There are different levels of copyright some are simply just to keep others from claiming music that isn't theirs, while artists on major labels and popular songs will get your channel eventually taken down.

I sent you a message about with more info.

• Patch
    Patch Member Posts: 301 Pro

BIG up yourself, zephry!!!

• MrCee
    MrCee Member Posts: 162 Pro
    edited July 19

I am loving this with Kelly Rowland - Work [Freemasons Remix] 😍

• Dag Dominik
    Dag Dominik Member Posts: 4 Member

Hi Zephyr - I noticed that when you set a new beatgrid, the track still runs the old 4/4 beat and does not set a new 1 to the rhythm. But older disco tracks like to play with that, so how can you get a new 1 to the beat like we used to do it in TP3 /TPP? It's driving me a bit nuts, as I'm a first generation Traktor user and I have mapped all my controllers over the years. Can't find a workaround. Cheers from germany :-)

• zephry

I think this is intended behavior. When setting grid markers for a flexible grid you are correcting the grid to be fixed and stay in sync.

In TP3 the beat markers acted differently they did not correct anything. So making a new 1 (or downbeat) was all it did. It was a downbeat marker.

In TP4. The markers are no longer Downbeat markers they are anchor points for correcting the BPM and making smooth BPM adjustments to essentially make a Flexible grid. If these anchor points also caused a new downbeat (also called setting the one) you would have the new one set at points you might not want. You are not always going to fix the BPM at an exact downbeat. Hope that makes sense.

Some tracks might have corrections (markers/anchor points) on every beat. You would have no grid to even look at.

After you set a grid in Traktor 4 and have the flexible Beatgrid working. If you exit the grid mode you will see the original downbeats (the one) as long as you have it set to be visible in preferences.

Also the very first grid marker (anchor point for BPM will set the 4 to the floor pattern for the track.

If for some reason the music is made in a different pattern or has parts that change the rhythm and you need a new start point. Unfortunately only TP3 has that ability.

Long story short.

TP3 has settable "downbeat markers" for setting the start (the one).

TP4 has settable "anchor points" for correcting BPM fluctuation.

For now I would suggest setting your first marker at the mix in point of your track. As I said above. When you exit Beatgrid mode you will have the downbeats visible from the first one you set.

To do this you need to erase all grid markers and find the mix in point you prefer and set the next markers from there to correct the BPM and use the flexible grid.

• Dag Dominik

Hi Zephyr,

this is what I was afraid of - they have sacrificed a precious function like the downbeat markers without a need and what advantage does it bring? None at all. I have a nice amount of jazzy/funky tracks in my collection that play with the rhythm and that I play regularly, therefor knowing the downbeat is a huge part of my mixing, but now it's down the drain. Sure it's not important when you only play 4/4, but even in your favorite DAW it is always possilble to set a downbeat marker. In the Traktor Deck Header you have the option "Beats To Cue", which is useless now for me because it could be misleading.

Can you please inform NI that losing the downbeat is of no use to anyone? If the downbeat is not fitting for someone else, he can easily set a new one that fits. But when the function is gone, it's gone.

I will open a ticket for a solution at NI, as there are some more issues that I'd like to be solved,

thx so far for your time and kind answer.

Best wishes, Dag Dominik

• zephry

I don't have much influence other than testing and my years helping.

Definitely keep checking for the next Feature suggestions area to open back up.

I

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 3,395 Expert

There are multiple threads about this. And NI said they are working on it and are gathering ideas on how to do it best. Best to give your feedback there.

Also nothing down the drain, you can keep using traktor 3.

• Dag Dominik

Yes sure I can still use TP3, that is why I paid 75 bucks for the latest update.

I am kinda new to this site so I haven't read all the articles so far, but now that I know NI has no support, I'll stick to this site, thank you. Great to hear they are listening to someone at least.

I happened to meet Ean Golden at the NI HQ in Berlin a few years ago and he left me really stoked about Traktor, we were dicussing the Rmx decks and the F1. Very good day!

I hope we are finding a solution to my/our problem soon. 👍️

• djwolfie
    djwolfie Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

Feel free to PM. Long time Traktor beta tester (and pro DJ) from the older versions. Who do we get in touch with to get back on the SW and HW beta train? My contacts have left NI. I also work with iZotope. Thanks!

• zephry

I believe selection for beta was made based on the interactions within the forum. I never asked to be selected. I also have no influence or direct influence other than replies to specific beta testing parameters.