A tip for using Flexible Beatgrids.

zephry
zephry Member Posts: 645 Pro

Once you learn how to set the grids on tracks that have variable bpms. Decide if you really need to fix the whole track.

For instance. Maybe just add hot cues and grid a couple sections that will be used. Or a start point that uses only the last half of the track.

You might be surprised. I noticed while testing and setting up some tracks. The parts that I would be using only needed a couple of markers and adjustments.

I am very impressed with the results after gridding for the Flexible Beatgrid. The sound is nice and seems to preserve the swing and rhythm.

Another thing I like about Traktor vs. Ableton and some of the other software I have looked at, is that Traktor has a good waveform/Beatgrid. Believe me, Ableton is not easy to find the downbeats and kicks sometimes and has a very ugly waveform (Ableton is the way I fixed variable bpms in the past).

The options for different waveform and grids in Traktor help a lot when setting markers and looking for the Downbeats. You can change the look in preferences.

Another tip, don't grid your entire collection unless you just like doing that sort of thing. Choose a few tracks to mix in that go with your playlist for the next Dj set. And of course add them to a Playlist to grow your Flexible Beatgrid library. (This might depend on the type of DJ you are. But I assume most are primarily using tracks that don't need fixed.)

A side note. Since I have your attention…

The same idea for Stem Separation, slowly add tracks you want to use in DJ sets and grow a playlist that way. I am considering using a separate drive for mine since the files are large.

Honestly I only tested a few tracks for Stem Separation and was mainly focused on helping with the Beta testing and looking for problems. I haven't used stems much even though I have a large amount I purchased back when Traktor first introduced the concept. Time to get my F1 out and add some flavor to my next mixes.

These are of course my opinions and my workflow. I would encourage anyone with questions or other ideas to continue this discussion.

This discussion has been closed.