Loud hum and noise when using Machine mk3 and Traktor pro

Gregg Abel
Gregg Abel Member Posts: 5 Member
edited 10:53AM in Maschine

hey guys,

I just purchased the Machine MK3 and connected it to my rig and the noise is horrendous. I have tried every combination possible to isolate the issue. This is what I have found.

My setup:

Traktor scratch audio6 sound card

Machine MK3

Urei1620LE mixer

Crown Macrotech 3600

Bss Blu100 DSP

Furman power distribution

1x Z1 (newest version)

2x X1 MK2’s

All new chroma cable usb-c to USB-b for all devices

All New Native power supplies on all devices

All cables from mixer to DSP and DSP to amp are new balanced XLR’s

RCA’s from scratch A6 out to mixer inputs are twisted pair shielded quality cables

I had zero noise before connecting the Maschine to my RIG. When I first turn everything on it’s fine but as soon as I set the deck channels at boot up for the X1s or launch the machine app so it’s ready for use the noise starts on that channel of the mixer And only that channel. I have 1/4 to RCA brand new cables (3rd set to rule out cables)

I plugged my head phones into the head phone jack on the machine and it was not buzzing. I moved them to the line out on the MK3 first right then left. And I can hear the buzz even when the gain is all the way down very very faintly. I did that to see if the noise was coming from the device or from my other gear. In my headphones I can hear the noise pulse as soon as I press the power button on maschine then it gets quieter but faintly always present, when at play volume the noise is bad enough that other tracks playing sound muddy.

Important to note the noise is only present after the machine app launches and the devices is ready to be played. Oddly, if I initialize the machine first I don’t hear the noise but as soon as set deck selection on Traktor x1’s (AC/BD) the noise is immediately back. Only on the Maschine channel of the mixer.

if I remove all the power supplies and just power from my laptop USB-C ports on battery (2023 Macbook Pro M2 Max 96 gigs ram 2TB drive) and with my usb-c hub the noise is much worse and is not just 60hz hum there is this other crazy harmonic noise that is present with it. Plug the power supplies back in and it gets better.

I have read about turning the LED brightness down on Maschine to help with noise. That did nothing for me. I turned all of the brightness settings across the board to their min and no change.

I have isolated every device, disconnecting one by one and checking each channel (full max on main and channel pots) the only channel with noise is whatever I assign to the machine. Even tried dual TRS to single XLR using one of the aux/mic inputs on Line level to see if balanced cables helped and it’s not any better, almost seemed worse. The TS 1/4 to RCA is actually better.

I have all the equipment using the same receptacle and added a cheap noise conditioner to the plug and then plugged into that and it was about the same. maybe I need a DT1 box to route the machine through?

I feel like the issue is maybe coming from the audio setup on the computer ? Or maybe it is the maschine really scratching my head.

I also tried setting the sound card to the Scratch A6, then Z1 and the Maschine, then the a6 in traktor and Maschine mk3 in machine app no change so it’s not the cards individually.

I must be missing something in the setup process that can fix this. One thing I wanted to mention is I use Traktor in external mixing mode and run the audio back in the main in for one of my mixer main outs to the recorder assigning that in the efx mapping in traktor.

Would creating an aggregate audio device help?

Hope someone can help me get this all worked out so I can start using this for parties and gigs

Answers

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 4,159 mod

Typically then such noise comes from either power supplies or from having something grounded or from not having something grounded. Problem with grounding or not grounding is that currents may start to run in undesirable ways. And worse is that once you start grounding then if you touch something grounded and then something not grounded then you risk frying a circuit and the same if the stuff is not grounded and you accidentally touch ground while touching the not grounded. Third and fourth source of noise is other electrical equipment on the electrical grid somewhere near by or from EMF noise/radiated EMF noise.

• Gregg Abel

but why would I have zero noise on my rig and add Maschine MK3 and have noise only on that channel once machine app is launched and live. Before that it’s fine. Only after full initialized is the noise start?

I forgot to mention I do have the traktor audio 6 grounded to the mixer. I have a cooper ground from the lug to my mixer. Adding or removing all external power supply’s going to the Z1, tractor audio6, and machine so they are bus powered makes it worse. Even with laptop on battery only.

If I remove the audio cables from the Maschine and launch everything the noise is still present. If I remove the USB cable from Maschine the noise is gone with it still powered on and audio cables connected.

Not sure if that helps tell us more.

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 4,159 mod

if I remove all the power supplies and just power from my laptop USB-C ports on battery (2023 Macbook Pro M2 Max 96 gigs ram 2TB drive) and with my usb-c hub the noise is much worse and is not just 60hz hum there is this other crazy harmonic noise that is present with it. Plug the power supplies back in and it gets better.

If I remove the USB cable from Maschine the noise is gone with it still powered on and audio cables connected.

I think that there is some kind of 'message' in the above that there is problem somewhere with the USB and the power ?

Important to note the noise is only present after the machine app launches and the devices is ready to be played. Oddly, if I initialize the machine first I don’t hear the noise but as soon as set deck selection on Traktor x1’s (AC/BD) the noise is immediately back. Only on the Maschine channel of the mixer.

Also this appear as being important but I don't have any units to play with to gain any practical understanding.

I have isolated every device, disconnecting one by one and checking each channel (full max on main and channel pots) the only channel with noise is whatever I assign to the machine.

Did that include connecting the Maschine directly to the USB port and also try another port , including other port type , with no other unit or hub attached either ?

Otherwise , then would be interesting to know what happen if one could use neutered USB cables with no power transfer if units and USB connection could run without (I have no idea how much a unit relies on it's own PSU if it at same time receives USB power)

Also could be some driver for something in the chain of audio routing. it could be I could also imagine someone here coming and suggest something about checking sample rates on something.

• Gregg Abel

ok so new update: when the usb is plugged into the machine the noise is there remove the usb noise gone.

With machine on and the audio cables removed the noise is still there. As I had the cables in my hand just waving them over the machine the cables picked up the noise in the air.

Something about these 2 sound cards is the issue. I moved the machine to a port on my usbc-hub and moved the traktor audio 6 sound card to a hub on my Mac and the noise was better. Again no change is battery power or Mac on Apple charger (with grounded extension, not the 2 prong)

• Gregg Abel

I just took my entire rig apart, the noise is only present with maschine connected. And even if it is the only device connected.

This must be a faulty unit.

Tried increasing sample rates to 96khz no change. Latency is better but nothing related to noise.

I am adding additional grounds from my DSP to my mixer and to the traktor audio 6 just because its apart also doing some house keeping on cables and routing but again only because I tore my entire setup down and don’t want to do this again. lol

• Gregg Abel

ok last update for today. I tore the entire console apart. Re routed all cables, made some new ones, tested each piece as I went. Removed the one NI power supply from the traktor a6, evidentially these power supplies are junk the are super noisy. Moved all devices to my furman pl-plus which is supposed to remove ground noise etc.

Everything was perfect better than ever. As soon as I finished my install plugging maschine mk3 into my laptop and then plugged in the 1/4 TRS bam noise like you can’t believe.

When I power it up and it scans across all the buttons with all the colors cycling you can hear it sweeping across the surface in the channel noise on the mixer. this thing has to be the problem. Before I plugged in the 1/4 the noise was not there. As soon as I plugged in the audio cables (nothing playing gain at zero) all I hear is the worst hum I have ever heard and this high pitched droning sound wooomwoooomwoooomwwwwwoooom along with it.

• jonas7744
    jonas7744 Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

OH man …. yeah I thiought I was the only one with this issue. You see I'm a musician and I record many instruments. I was hoping to use MK3 to LINE IN record. That way its on a audio track. ANYWAY..,. I'm sooooooooooo effed off about this $600 unprofessional piece of equipment. I mean if anyone has any other ideas please please please drop me a line. What kibnd of pro gear wont let you LINE IN or LINE out record. I dig the sounds but I'd have never bought this thing if I had known. yall be cool

• jonas7744
    jonas7744 Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

I wish somebody from Native Instruments would care but I've noticed their hands off approach …. I'm a broke musician at that ….. $600.

This discussion has been closed.